so, do I want to upgrade to 3G now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Jul 14, 2008.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

OK - a few months ago I was lucky enough to purchase a refurbished iPhone from AT&T and I've been a happy iPhone user since. This in conjunction with switching over from PC to Mac when my PC died has really brought it all together for me. I've been a longtime fan of Apple, but now I am totally Mac.

My plan was to get the refurbished phone to carry me over to when the 3G phone came out. I figured spending $249 wasn't too bad for what might end up being a temporary phone. But when the 3G phone was announced, it didn't appear to have as many new bells and whistles as I had hoped it would. So I decided I would hold off on purchasing one until I saw the 2.0 update and the new programs. Plus, I kinda wanted to wait until I saw the 3G phone in action, to see if it was worth it.

Well, I've downloaded many programs from the App Store (mostly free, but I did spend a little over $50 as well) and I'm loving the new software, especially the games. Funny thing is, a lot of it works just fine in my original iPhone. I've been quite pleased. I half expected to see the system requirements of the programs to say "requires GPS" or "requires 3G iPhone". So no complaints there, although July 11th was a rough day getting the 2.0 update.

Yesterday, I went to my Apple Store (Pentagon City, VA) and there was a big sign saying they had run out of 3G iPhones. But they had a bunch on display for me to play with. The main thing I was curious about was the internet speed. I expected the 3G phone to be better, but in the store, both the 3G phone and my iPhone worked about the same. Interestingly, my phone had more bars but perhaps the display model was simply tired. I did try restarting it but it made no difference. 3G or not, if your signal strength is poor, your internet is gonna be poor.

So, I left the store thinking I'm content with my current phone. I don't think I will be upgrading. The 3G phone didn't push me over the edge to wanting one.

So, I gotta say Thank You, Apple for updating my iPhone with great new software and for more cool programs soon to come. Oh, and I am totally loving MobileMe. I recently have become a fanatic about keeping my contacts organized and this push technology is totally cool! Has been working great for me.

Apple still rocks!

2. tucker101uk macrumors member

I agree with you - im sticking with my iPhone v1!!!

The 2.0 update has given us the app store, which in turn will give us almost anything we want... within reason!

Likewise I wasnt impressed with the new hardware, and as such have kept my old iPhone! I might get it re-furbed tho.... that would make it nice and spangly and new again!!!

3. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

how do you do that? get the refurb?

4. tucker101uk macrumors member

5. RJ17 macrumors regular

Are you sure that your phone and the display phone weren't both using the WIFI connection from the apple store.

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

Sounds to me like you have no reason to go 3G so why bother? Personally, my history is that I bailed from T-Mobile for Sprint a year ago because T-Mobile's EDGE was so bad that, for all intents and purposes, it didn't work and I was a heavy Slingplayer user. Sprint's Rev-A network was very fast but their PDA phones totally suck. Windows Mobile isn't terrible but the hardware blows and the manufacturer basically doesn't support it. After a year of putting up with that crap, I bailed on 3G launch day for AT&T. I kicked around the idea of getting a 1st gen off EBay or whatever and using it on T-Mobile where the costs are lower but when the day came, I figured I may as well get a 3G as it will probably cost less then an unlocked 1st gen. So that's what I did. Do I have a real reason for a 3G? Not at all. Given the apps currently available, no one really has a practical need for 3G. If I had a 1st gen, I might upgrade this fall sometime but not now.

7. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I checked that to be sure. I usually keep my WiFi off on my phone anyways. My phone had the E and the display model had the 3G when I ran my test (though I did also check the settings on each phone). Keep in mind I was in a mall far from a window, so AT&T reception is usually kinda poor or non-existent in those cases. In my area, it's Verizon that has the great reception, especially underground like on our subway. So I've kinda gotten used to not-so-great internet over EDGE. I wanted to be dazzled by the internet on the 3G phone. Had I seen a zippier response, it might have made me want one. Also, it looks like most of the software that uses location doesn't need GPS to do it, so I don't feel like I am missing out there either. (One more thing, I did try a couple of display phones for my test.)