So do the new iPhones actually have sapphire screens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Icaras, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I remember Sapphire screens being such a talked about subject with all the rumors and YouTube videos. Maybe I've somehow missed it, but now in the flurry of all the announcement news and even on Apple's site, I can't seem to find any mention whether or not the screens are in fact Sapphire.

So are they?

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

No.

They said in the keynote they are "Ion Strengthened Glass".

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, no sapphire glass for the iPhones this year. The news rocked the stock of the company that producers the product (I forget the name if it right now).

4. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

5. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Ah, I see, thank you for clarifying. I see I have missed it and it was also mentioned in MacRumors articles. Now I think I recall the Sapphire is instead being used for the Apple Watch?

So would anyone know if this "Ion strengthened glass" is supposed to be stronger or more scratch resistant than the Gorilla glass in the 5s? My guess it might be more resistant to breaks or cracks.

6. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Nope, we won't know anything until it gets released and is put through the gauntlet of scratch / drop tests.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My guess is that it will be about as good as the 5S which is rahter goon in my opinion. The Sapphire thing was just a rumor for the iPhone, one of many!

8. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Thanks for the responses. I always get a screen protector for my iPhone and I think I may want to get a screen protector again just for peace of mind.