So do they get virtual time in the virtual prison?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ezekielrage_99, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Heh. That's quite a few hours of work. :eek:

EDIT: At $7 an hour (minimum wage, right?), 150 hours is worth about $1000 bucks. Why didn't the kids just work?

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

The issue isn't what was stolen

to me the issue is that they beat their victim, kicked him, and threatened him with a knife.

It doesn't matter their final goal. Whether they did that just for fun, for real-world tangible goods, or for virtual goods in an online game, the acts of deliberate violence against their victim is what's more relevant here.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's what I took from it too, I'm surprised they only got community service...

5. cyberjunky macrumors regular

is this like a virtual assault in the game (bureaucracy gone mad?) or they assaulted him in the real world? because im sure ive heard of cases where people have been taken to court for sexual harassment or bullying through online games where the activity only takes place online and the 2 individuals have no knowledge of the other persons identity.

6. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

No it seems like they actually beat up the poor kid (he was a classmate, so they knew him personally). So I'm also surprised that the article focused on the fact it was about virtual goods in a game. If the bullying had been online too, it might have made sense, but this is a straight case of physical assault. I mean people beat up others for rewards even less tangible than the stuff in the game--like social privileges. I think it's the beating up that's the issue here.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I read it as they beat up the kid in the game... haha.