So, do we buy the thing or what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bhadoc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. bhadoc macrumors newbie

With all of these complaints regarding performance downgrades from 3.0 to 1.5 I have become hesitant about my purchase of the new macbook pro. So, at this point what is the general consensus? Do we ignore the slower SATA interface and buy it? Realistically, I will not be adding a SSD for at least a couple years if at all. At most I will add ram and HD space and I may do some light gaming--but mostly web browsing, music/movie watching and documents. Do you guys think Apple is going to realize people are upset and recall or increase the speed? :confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you are not going to put an SSD in it then you have zero to really worry about. The SATA issue is more relevant for those using a SSD.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

OP, maybe you should read up about what this whole SATA thing actually does.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Plus it might be able to be changed in a software update. No one knows. :)

5. bhadoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. When do you guys Apple is going to speak up?

6. macat macrumors newbie

The new 13" mbp are awesome even though they don't support SATA 2. I am part of the miniscule population that wants to waist money and add an SSD drive--I will never notice the difference with a SSD drive and SATA 1.

If you are not going to upgrade the drive to a SSD in the near future than don't hesitate. Realistically, many of us are going to upgrade when the new Arrandale chips are available(8 months or so) at which point everything should be cheaper and support better standards...

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    They will probably only say something if it becomes a huge topic of discussion. Or they might just release an update that changes it. :p

8. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I bought mine a couple nights ago. The SATA connection doesn't affect me at all, so it didn't even make me second-guess my purchase.

It's similar to how it would've been stupid for me to not buy a previous MB due to the lack of FireWire, seeing as how I don't use FireWire. If it doesn't affect you, then there's no issue. It doesn't make it a bad machine.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If this isn't going to get merged...

I'd say that you are fine. Doubt that you would keep the notebook long enough when you would put the SSD in.

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

They will speak up about this at 1O:00AM PST Tuesday. You're fine, put your toe in the water and purchase if you want.