So... do you use "Group windows by application" or not?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by pickaxe, Sep 13, 2013.

?

Do you group Mission Control windows by app?

1. Yes (10.7 behaviour)

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No (old Exposé behaviour/"new" 10.8 option)

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

After the big deal that was made since the 10.8 betas about this option, do people actually disable grouping or not?

Personally, I tend to like/dislike both equally and switch between them pretty often (made an AppleScript that does that... yeah)

2. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

I disable application window grouping. It was this feature that made me upgrade.

<Rant>
    The addition of disabling "Group windows by application" in Mountain Lion felt half-arsed to be honest. It's a poor implementation the version of expose it was inspired from; the Tiger and Leopard version

In 10.5.8 (OS X Leopard) you could:

-hold the "option" key to make the window names appear for each window

-hold "Command" when dragging an application window to a new space to bring all the windows from that application to a new space

-navigate and select a window using the keyboard only. Now you can't.

I still use Expose/Mission Control but since Lion they have made it too busy visually. There is no need to zoom out the desktop, show a linen texture and have drop shadowing everywhere. Just dim the wallpaper like before and overlay the desktop spaces instead on top using a similar style to the 2d Dock.
    </Rant>

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I tried MC with no application grouping, and I couldn't find anything. Too many windows, all over the place.
    With Application Grouping, I can find the app, then the window. (A bit like App cycling, then Window cycling.)