So, does 13" MBP admit the 13" MB was a mistake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PracticalMac, Jun 8, 2009.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Except for the speed bump to main CPU, its basically the same as the 13" MacBook.

Just like its earlier relative, the same NVIDIA GeForce 9400M uses a portion of main memory for its VRAM. It is the first time in recent PowerBook or MacBook Pro that used shared memory (but I note the *new* low end 15" also uses shared memory).

Except it adds FireWire 800 and an SD slot. Both welcome additions.

On a side:
    I wait and see how well the Li-Polymer batteries work out.
    And I wish they included a Sony MemoryStick slot too (enough of those to merit inclusion).

And yes, I am a big proponent of FireWire, and not including FW in the 13" MB is the mistake that prompted this shuffle and holding on to the unibodies.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I was under the impression that SD was a MUCH more widely adopted format than Memory Stick.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

It seems more like they finally added the 15" macbook.

I dont know what they were thinking with making everything a "Pro", so theyre going to keep the old ass white plastic macbook around forever?

4. clyderino macrumors newbie

An aluminum MacBook...l

I bought my first Apple computer less than six months ago: an aluminum 13 inch MacBook.

I do video editing and had to download the video from my camera to an old Dell laptop via its firewire port and then transfer the captured video to the MacBook for processing...

I like the MacBook BUT the new one obviously fits my needs better. Any word that Apple could help us out with some way of exchanging the New MacBook Pro for a not so old aluminum MacBook?

Wishful thinking, I suppose?

C...

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No. Why do people think Apple has a trade up program every time something new comes out?

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes it is.
    I just saying the MemoryStick is fairly common.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Isn't MemoryStick sony's propietary standard?

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

For which Apple would have to pay a licence fee.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Even if they did, wouldn't it be awful hypocritical of some people around these parts to support such a thing, when they were outraged, OUTRAGED, I tells ya over apples OPEN STANDARD mDP port?

Just some food for thought...

10. molala macrumors 6502a

There was widespread outrage when Apple dropped firewire on the 13" UMB. They defended the decision, but yes, I guess now they are admitting it was a mistake. :)

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Please tell me where you find a unibody macbook with firewire ;)

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a feeling the plastic MB will be phased out along with the MB name. I suspect Apple is going to expand the MBA line and having three full lines of portables is more than Jobs can handle. Look for a tablet this year. All those books and magazines available soon in the Apple Store are not necessarily just for the iPhone.

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

or drop the price...

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My impression is that the 13" MBP is a massive admission on Apple's behalf that the original 13" MacBook had some serious shortcomings in the omission of FireWire and any other form of expansion.

The 13" MacBook Pro is an exceptional machine and, at the new prices here in Aus, will sell by the truckload.

15. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Yes, finally slightly more realistic prices return for Aussies.
    Am really considering the 13" great update.

16. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for the macbook line to become the macbook touch or something similar. Give it a smaller screen and touch and make it a tablet.

17. Skydiver32 macrumors member

While somewhat "old", I really would like to see a CF reader. Most DSLR's still use the CF, but even those are changing.

18. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Remember, the first 15" Macbook Pro (circa 2005) did not include a FW800 port (only FW400). Everyone thought Apple was going to phase out Firewire in leu of USB, but they didn't.

Also, I think that this shows how expensive the design change and chipset are for FW800; I imagine that since FW800 is not as prolific as USB, the component costs are much, much higher.

This is Apple--they're always refining their products....like a constantly evolving sculpture. What is there one day might not be there the next.

As far as leaving out Firewire on the Al MB line; I think they just didn't know how to put it in a product of that size withouth removing something else (ie. replaceable battery).

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

for the 13 MBP ...they added firewire 800, SD Slot and got rid of the audio input?
    i think it would have been fine if they just added the Firewire port & the upgradable memory solution.

and the 15" (1699) gets just the 9400 gfx card and a SD card slot? i mean its reasonable for a 15" macbook.

this new little update is a bit confusing...the only one that makes some sense is the 17"...i like the configuration and the price drop. get more for the price than what i paid for mine a few months back.

not sure what to really think about the new updates...are they trying to squeeze in a new macbook/netbook type solution in that spot...i dont know if theyre going to keep the whitebooks around for much longer...who knows i guess.

20. toxic macrumors 68000

how many computers have CF card slots? and how many people use CF cards? 5% of the target market?

SD is a good idea, though I think they could've kept ExpressCard34 on the 15"...and guess what, there're ExpressCard adapters for CF and USB and whatever else you'd want.

21. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

According to Apple....
    Combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable analog audio line in)

22. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's further blurring of the line between the MB and the MBP. With the aluminum MBP and the plastic MB, it was clear. With the Unibodies, it wasn't as much. Now, Apple completely disregards their professional customers with all glossy displays, and considers a professional laptop to have an integrated graphics card.

I bet next years WWDC keynote will only be "half-reported", as bloggers scramble to find an outlet to plug in their dying MacBook Pros mid-speech.

23. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

How is a discrete graphics card mandatory for a "Pro" computer? Do audio professionals need a discrete graphics cards? Even professional video editors and graphic designers don't need discrete graphics - the 9400M can more than handle Final Cut and Photoshop needs. Discrete graphics are only really necessary in really high end modelling and gaming (hardly a "Pro" use!). So the assertion that no discrete graphics = no pro uses is weak.

That said, I think selling a machine for $2000 in Canada with integrated graphics is a joke. Integrated is fine in the $1399 13" MBP, not for $2000, I want a discrete solution. But that still doesn't mean Pros can't use the models with integrated graphics. :rolleyes:

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Look at PC notebooks.
    They are FULL of ports and features, good screen, big HDD, AND for HUNDREDS less.

Oh, they ALSO have FIREWIRE!

For Apple to charge almost 2x as PC laptop, then they better spend the $20 for FW800, because its chump change!

Look online, the FW800 chips are only few $ more then FW400.

25. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

How about everybody that is serious about photography? Only low-end consumer camera's use SD, every single prosumer and pro SLR uses CF. And that is a lot more than 5%. It also means that the supposedly target audience of the MBP is more likely to use CF than SD. SD sucks. Slow, low capacity.