So Does apple new maps have anything that can compete with Google Maps StreetView?

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
So Does apple new maps have anything that can compete with Google Maps StreetView?

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
The 3D rendering comes across as gimmicky to say the least. Streetview will certainly go amiss with this replacement..

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Well, you know how Apple is...they don't give us every feature we want within applications. Over time we'll get everything. I'm just glad we have a free turn by turn navigation. About darn time.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I got a feeling apple will not let google maps into the app store.................:mad:

TheGodfather

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Belgium
But Apple doesn't allow duplicate functionality apps, do they? So that means no Google Maps, right?
There are multiple browsers and even a mail client in the app store nowadays, I'm not sure Apple is as strict on this rule as they were previously.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
Not yet, but tomtom is meant to be creating a street veiw of their own which will most likely make it's way to maps.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
say bye bye to street view. So you lose a feature to gain something other phones have had for 4-5 years. Neat isnt it?

What "cool" things do you speak of?
Actually you lose a couple of really useful features, to gain nothing at all, unless you have a 4S.

Gone:
Streetview
Google's transit routes
Google's POI database

New:
Turn-by-Turn navigation - 4S/iPad only
3D Flyover - 4S/iPad only

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
I'd be surprised if, at least here in the EU, Apple are allowed to 'ban' Google Maps from the App Store. Surely that's stifling competition, or something equally ludicrous. But either way, I'll be hoping a Google Maps app for iPhone follows soon...

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I am sure that iOS maps will have streetview. I recently saw a few TomTom trucks in my city that had streetview cameras mounted.

Since the maps are provided by TomTom and "others", I am fairly certain we'll see it make an appearance soon.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I'm hoping google releases a map app for iOS.

If they release even half of what the maps app for Android is, I can't see anyone using the native app.

I'm a huge apple fan, but they really shouldn't have gone down this path. They'll never be able to catch up to and provide the maps experience that google did.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I am sure that iOS maps will have streetview. I recently saw a few TomTom trucks in my city that had streetview cameras mounted.

Since the maps are provided by TomTom and "others", I am fairly certain we'll see it make an appearance soon.
The problem is that it took Google 5 years to cover nearly 40 countries around the world. Bing has been working on their equivalent service "Streetside" since 2009 and it doesn't cover anywhere near as many places as Google does.

It's not easy to catch up with a service like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.