So does Lion support non apple SSDs for Trim now?

KipCoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2000
ATL
Before anyone flames me, I've tried search and I'm still relatively confused XD

Okay, so I'm crawling back to Mac (again) as I always do because I never learn my lesson on just how bad Windows is, so I'm looking at a MBP 13" i5 as I just need it for movies, music, internet, and office stuff, photoshop on occasion.

So I figured I'd get the i5 and slap an SSD in it, versus buying the i7 and sticking with the HDD inside. My budget is about $1500 for this whole thing, and I get a discount on the MBP to $1100, so I am looking for a 256GB SSD in the $375 or less range.

But where I'm confused, is, whether or not Lion is now using trim on non apple SSDs? I can't seem to find a clear answer on that. Most of the threads I found were speculation on if Lion would, and I didn't find much updates afterwards.

I'm not as tech-savvy as I use to be so I'm looking for minimal maintenance on this, I can do the swap no problem, but diving into coding and stuff like that, I'll probably melt the laptop down somehow.

So, will Lion support trim on any non apple SSDs now? I'd rather not pay $540 for a 256GB SSD I can get for under $400 and probably faster.

Last edited:

naKruul

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Corsair Force 3 120GB: No Trim with Lion
Crucial M4 64GB: Trim with Lion

Sandforce Controllers are know for problems with Trim under Lion, so therefor i thinks it is not supported.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Still no, unless you use a 3rd party program such as TRIM enabler.
However, you'd be fine with a regular SSD just as long as it has garbage collection.

KipCoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2000
ATL
Corsair Force 3 120GB: No Trim with Lion
Crucial M4 64GB: Trim with Lion

Sandforce Controllers are know for problems with Trim under Lion, so therefor i thinks it is not supported.
So this should be usable with Lion's Trim script and OSX should handle it's maintenance? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148449

Still no, unless you use a 3rd party program such as TRIM enabler.
However, you'd be fine with a regular SSD just as long as it has garbage collection.
I read somewhere not to use a 3rd party trim enabler on Lion, but they could just be bad advisors.

Thanks again guys for helping!

ACiB

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Samsung 830 64GB: No TRIM support. Still, I went for that one, good price, great review, great performance, and Samsung is reliable.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Here is an article from a guy that shows you how to enable trim (not with trim enabler, which he advocates against), but by:

"All this patch does is simply replace the string “APPLE SSD” in the file IOAHCIBlockStorage with zeros. This happens to bypass the restriction of only allowing Apple branded SSDs. The backup of the original file is saved in the same directory as the original file."

Article here:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

KipCoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2000
ATL
Here is an article from a guy that shows you how to enable trim (not with trim enabler, which he advocates against), but by:

"All this patch does is simply replace the string “APPLE SSD” in the file IOAHCIBlockStorage with zeros. This happens to bypass the restriction of only allowing Apple branded SSDs. The backup of the original file is saved in the same directory as the original file."

Article here:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

Appreciate the link, if its just copy paste into terminal, I think I can handle that :D

It really is a shame tho that Lion won't automatically enable this like Win7, I do hope they change that in the future as SSDs are becoming cheaper and more accessible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.