iPad So does the 2GB of RAM fix Safari refresh?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nikhsub1, Oct 23, 2014.

1. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

AS the title states, does more RAM eliminate the Safari refresh problem so many cry over?

2. Creep89 macrumors 6502

The 2GB experience so far is amazing! Apps are kept longer in the background, so no restart of apps when launched once again. :) Safari keeps tabs longer.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

And all the people blaming it on software are surprisingly nowhere to be found now. Funny how that works.

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I had 30 tabs open on Safari (large sites) as well as a few apps and nothing reloaded or even stuttered.

5. aibo macrumors 6502

6. cfedu, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Guys there is no problem, no one should use more than one tab or more than one app at a time. If you need more power buy a 12 core macpro;)

Even if their is an improvement it does not mean the software is not an issue. if they fix the web kit you would be able to have 31 tabs open instead of 30!

Look how the ram effected battery life, reviews say it does not last as long as the air. An Apple rep told me that if the iPhone 6 has 2Gb of ram the battery would only last 30 minutes.

The increase in ram has only mad a mess!!!

Edit: Sarcasm

7. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

Isn't it amazing how all the fanboys were saying that it wasn't the ram, when anyone with some tech brains knew it was the ram.

----------

This has got to be sarcasm surely.

8. donnaw, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

donnaw macrumors 65816

Oh good grief!!

1). I have never, since I started browsing the Internet back in the '90s just used one tab. I do a lot of research, comparison shopping....just using one tab is not an option. And frankly I do not want a MacPro.

2). Battery life IS NOT A MESS. Apple claims 10 hours, the same they always claimed. One test showed 11.5. That is not a mess. And since I don't like tab refreshes and I do like holding more than one app at a time in memory (which is also a claim by Apple), and I want better apps (which require better hardware for development) I'm happy with the new hardware. Also I travel a lot. If I anticipate I will need extra power, I carry a power pack. At home, well, I have electricity worked right into my house so I simply plug it in every night. And I suspect the same applies to every other person buying an Air 2.

3). That so-called Apple rep was pulling your leg.

The Air 2 has 2g of RAM. Get used to it. If battery life worries you so much, to paraphrase those snarky remarks I read here so often, don't buy it.

And let me add, if it is a software issue then why hasn't Apple fixed it yet? They certainly have had plenty of chances.

9. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Your sarcasm detector is broken.

10. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

dude...surely some of those mid-90s tabs contained information re this thing called "a sense of humour?"

11. donnaw macrumors 65816

Oh, ok. Sorry. I'm just a bit tired of all the 'More RAM isn't needed' and 'more RAM hurts battery life'. Been reading them way, way too long.

Guess I might better go read some political blogs to calm down. :)

Sorry.again

12. donnaw macrumors 65816

Yeah, apparently I lost it somewhere today. Maybe a cup of coffee with a lot of Baily's will help me find it.

13. matthewadams macrumors regular

Well. It is more of a work-around isnt it?
    It doesn't solve the bigger picture (Safari purging the tabs when it runs out of memory instead of caching/saving to disk).
    Just run a huge game and go back to Safari..

(That said I'm happy about the 2gb anyway ;) )

14. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Great news to hear. Hopefully no iOS product from hereon out has 1GB RAM. The refresh issue was a major problem, same with app stuttering.

15. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Um, no? Because everyone here was saying it was either the RAM or bad coding, neither of which a fanboy would admit. :rolleyes:

Most people were expecting and hoping the RAM increase would fix the issue.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Or, we never had problems to being with. Funny how that works too. :D

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

Tbh, I was unsure myself what was causing it, whether software or hardware. Glad it was solved with more ram. :)

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Unfortunately it will probably come back by the time iOS 9 or iOS 10 rolls around. And we'll probably have to wait until iOS 12 before Apple starts rolling out devices with 4GB RAM.

19. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Its not solved. It's an issue with the way safari works most likely and the 2GB if RAM is just a bandaid. Wait till iOS 9....the problems will come back.

20. formerapplefan macrumors member

Yes, problem is solved. As a result I decided to skip iPhone 6, I am not buying another iOS device with crippled RAM.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, we've been enjoying other browsers that have no such problem since the beginning. Funny indeed.

----------

Because maybe they don't think it's an issue? Maybe they DESIGNED it to dump tabs on purpose?

22. scupking macrumors 6502a

23. mustbepbs macrumors newbie

I've honestly never had a reloading issue on my iPhone 6 with Google chrome. I've kept multiple tabs for days without reload.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Me neither. I use mostly Chrome, and iCab because it lets me upload documents to websites. No tab reloading issue.

But since someone on the Internet said it was a RAM issue, it must be true.