So, Does the Camera Still Suck?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sysiphus, Jun 9, 2008.

1. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

My one concern regarding whether to buy/skip the iPhone 3G is the camera--even if the only change were an autofocus, I'd take it. My phone is my day-to-day camera, so I really care about this...The rest of the phone looks good, but without a decent (for a high-end phone) camera, I'm forced to put Nokia back into the equation :(
    Anyone else thinking along the same lines?

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The camera looks the same.

I would say if having a good camera was important to you, getting a good camera would be a good idea and not just look for the cell phone with the best camera.

3. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I certainly know where you're coming from. The camera isn't the deal breaker it used to be for me since Im carrying an amazing little Ricoh compact around with 10x optical zoom. Since the new phone has GPS it means I can get rid of something else instead of the camera.

BUT 2 MEGAPIXELS STILL SUCK!!!

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

5. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Unknown. The actual sensor or processor could have changed into something better, so who knows.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

The camera never sucked. It's pretty good compared to other phones on the market (no, don't cite any phones built where the main feature is a camera). Then again, there are people on this forum who think that it should have 8MP with 3x optical zoom, so they can't please everyone. If you need a camera, I'd really suggest just buying a camera. You'll pretty much always get much better quality than a phone.

7. meagain macrumors 68030

Call me crazy but it looks bigger to me. bigger lens to let in more light? I keep stareing at it and measureing against mine, etc. ?? Still 2.0 but could it be a tad bigger?

8. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

did they mention anything about the app store having any camera functions like digital zoom or anything else? i can jailbreak my phone and get 3rd party apps that do this.

9. sjw macrumors regular

I can't believe it's still at 2mp... gosh, even bumping it up to 3mp would be something. 2mp is laughable. Such an amazing phone but still in the dark ages with a 2mp camera. :confused:

10. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yea this fact makes me want to kill apple... I'm hoping maybe they just ran out of time at the keynote to mention the camera upgrade.. :D

12. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

Yes! indeed, I think now the phone is amazing all upgrades are great, I don't miss anything EXCEPT for the camera, I mean come on even my 4 year old nokia has a 2.0mp camera:S, upgrading to 5(at least 3) should have been a no-brainer

13. calculus Guest

calculus

I am perfectly happy with the iPhone camera. It takes nice pictures.

14. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

And also no video function, even my 6 year old 0.3mp nokia has video function. And still no camera flash!

But except for the camera it's amazing

15. GCY macrumors regular

The standard cellphone camera now a days seems to be 3.2MP. Why in the world is apple still at 2MP??? I guess there will be another update 2 months later.

16. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The iPhone camera isn't bad at all:

Attached Files:

17. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's not. Not even remotely.

Phazer

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Sorry, but if that's supposed to be evidence it's not good evidence. It shows significant curvature abberations compared to other mobile phone cameras (because the lens is too small, and it is small compared to most cameras). It's a tiny photo that's not relevant to showing perforamance on a 6 x 4 print, where the difference between 2 and 3 megapixels is enormous. It's taken in good daylight, whereas the iPhone camera performs badly in poor light even for a phone camera, exaccerbating it's lack of a flash.

Phazer

19. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yes it is the same camera and compared to my sony 10.1mp camera (in signature) it really sucks, but in a pinch when u dont have a camera its not bad, and the pics look good on the phone itself so w/e.

20. Jookbox macrumors 6502

if people care about the camera, do yourself a favor and buy one of the small cannon powershots. my sd1000 fits in my pocket and is much much better than any camera phone. i paid under $200 for it. i believe kodak has even smaller cameras.

21. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Are you expecting a high end camera in this? It's a cell phone. You're going to have to wait a few years for a 8MegaPixel Camera with a 10X optical zoom.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'm expecting a camera on par with other mobile phone cameras - ie 3 - 5 megapixels, a better lens assembly, some exposure control (and some form of image stabilisation would really help too), better low light performance and either an LED or flash.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for it, and it would add extremely small amounts to the production costs.

Phazer

23. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I would have been happy with 3.2MP & autofocus, which has been a mid-range standard for a while. The sensors are small enough, so that's not an issue, so I have to presume that the camera isn't actually perceived as being of any importance by Apple...

24. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Ever thought that Apple has realized exactly what a camera on your phone is? a novelty.

If you care so much about the image quality, go and buy a proper camera, the iPhone has hundreds of other selling points, as do other phones aswell, not forgetting the fact that despite some cameras having 5mp cameras, the screen res only allows for up to 2 mp to be veiwed, only get the true image quality when you print them off.

But if the camera quality is that important, i would suggest looking in a photography store instead of a cell phone store.

25. sjw macrumors regular

Exactly! The fact is, for a so-called 'smartphone' to have a 2mp camera, let alone WITHOUT any kind of flash - it's just pitiful. I do have a dedicated digital camera, but it's great being able to use my K800i (3.2mp with xenon flash, older than the original iPhone)when I don't want to carry that around - and still know I am going to get some decent photos (regardless of light conditions). I'll still buy the darn iPhone though... maybe by the time the new contract runs out Apple will have gotten round to upgrading the camera.