so... Does the existing 3g do video with firmware 3.0? Or does Apple cripple it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vegas-steven, Jun 8, 2009.

1. vegas-steven macrumors regular

I followed the entire keynote via macrumors live and still can't see whether or not existing 3g handsets can do video albeit 15fps

I personally care a lot less about the new hardware, it's the software that matters to me.

If not I'm going to likely seriously reconsider the 3gs as I can't have faith apple will not screw me over in the future

So to sum it up:

THERE IS NO REASON A 3g CANNOT DO VIDEO.
    (unless apple cripes it from within the firmware by making a different firmware for 3g and 3gs)

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

99% sure it will be crippled.

It is listed as a feature on Apple's web site of the 3GS, but not the 3G.

3. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

err. yes there is.

Video has to be compressed and recorded in real time.
    The 2G and 3G phones lack the hardware to do this.

If you look at the cydia app, it takes minutes for the CPU to encode a short clip.

C.

4. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

If its software crippled, then i'm pretty sure that you'll be able to install the video.app via Cydia at some point ;)

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

My Cydia app has never taken *that* long at all. Argh, looks like I'll just have to keep jailbreaking.

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hope so! If that's the case then I'm all over it! :D

7. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

I strongle disagree with your post.

Go take a look at the YouTube page I post in my signature for plenty of video take with an iPhone 3g and cycorder.

Compression my @$$... It's called "let's sell more phones this June 19th to people that don't know any better regarding the iPhones REAL technical limitations"

8. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I'm just mad they didn't include voice control in the 3.0 upgrade. That alone is ***** pathetic.

9. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, what would Apple know? They just built the thing. Maybe they should listen to vegas-steven and turn on that 6fps video quality that the iPhone 3G is capable of. :rolleyes:

10. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

Just to reiterate.

There are two apps on cydia, one is cycorder and the other iphonevideorecorder

Up until firmware 2.2 the latter did takeinutes to encode and now has an on the fly option

Cydia on the other hand NEVER encodes after the face and ALWAYS works right away.

So again this is 100% not a technical limitation.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Please link to a video clip from the old iPhone and the new iPhone. If you are correct, the quality will be the same, or at least very similar.

I'm assuming you have examples of both since you're so certain of this fact! I mean, surely you're not just making this up, right?

12. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I certainly thought they would enable video recording for the 3G. If it can be done with a jailbrake then it should be able to do it with jailbraking. I guess I was wrong!! :(

13. iRob213 macrumors member

iRob213

When I was jail broke I had the Cycorder installed and used it maybe 3 times over the course of 7-8 months. It worked fine, but I never really used it. If it's that important to have video, I'd upgrade, or at least d/l 3.0 then jailbreak and get Cycorder:cool:

14. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

+1

I think its just part of their marketing strategy. They need some features that are exclusive to the 3GS in order to appeal to current 3G owners.
    Best example: Voice Control. Why wouldn't they just include this app into the 3.0 release? I'm pretty sure that it would run on all other iPhone models flawlessly.

15. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Exactly. Google has voice search on the 3G, so there is no reason why they couldn't include voice controls on the 3G. That one pisses me off royally.

Compass = blah
    Video = blah

16. dragossh macrumors regular

The processor is not ... um... fast enough for... uh... recognizing your voice. Now pay $199 :D

17. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Cycorder can't do 30fps VGA though, that's the hardware limitation. The 3G can't do more than 15fps. The way Cycorder works is by taking a bunch of pictures really fast.

18. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

Enabling it simply keeps the phone competetive vs other phones on the market.

Those phones do not do 30fps VGA video (so e do) but even my 4 year old razr did 3gp video...

15fps = better than nothing

Also = a courtesy for customers who can't afford/need an upgrade for speed.

I wager that in Cupertino there is a lab with a jailbroken phone and cydia on it...

What more proof is there

19. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

+1!!

This is one 3GS-exclusive option that I still just don't understand.

20. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

That is how almost all cell phone video cameras work

21. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

You mean this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrIeeDw53VI

3fps is hardly video!

To mail or MMS a video it has to be compressed (ideally as h264). Encoding a minute of standard-def h264 on a 3G will turn on the secret "hand-warmer" feature that Apple has been trying to keep from us.

Please post your best iPhone video here. And tell us how big the file is on the iPhone.

C.

22. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

No, we are talking about videos like this one here. (Below the update description)

I have my doubts that a 3G could do an on-the-fly encoding, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done afterwards in the background.