Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I am thinking of swapping my Air 2 with the Mini 4. I like the size of the Mini 4 but I cannot seem to find confirmation on whether it vibrates like the Air 2 when playing sound/music which is one of the things I don't like about the Air 2.

Some say the vibrations are all gone - some say they are still there...

Can anyone confirm either of those statements?

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
I compared both iPads, side by side in the Apple Store at maximum volume playing the same audio.

The difference was significant. There was very little perceptible vibration from the mini 4. However, that's not to say there was none. After all, sound is vibration, so you can't eliminate it all.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I used search on my iPad Mini 4 and searched for vibrate. the results indicated General>Accessibility.
Looking there in settings, there is no vibrate option to be found.
No, the Mini 4 cannot vibrate. The 2 did not vibrate either, and there are lots of games that need that ability to fully enjoy. Too bad it can't.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
As someone that owned and hated the vibration on the Air 2 and who now has a Mini 4, I can tell you that the Mini 4 does not have the issue. It also doesn't have much bass via the speakers, which may help. It's a very clear, yet tinny sound produced by the 4.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
The Mini 4 does vibrate at high volume settings (even my brick of an iPad 4 vibrates a little at maximum volume) and it does vibrate more than the Mini 2. But it's not that much more and it vibrates a lot less than the Air 2. It won't massage your hands like the Air 2 and I don't find the added vibration to be a distraction. If you're not sure, then go to a store and try it out in person or buy it from a place where you can return it with no questions asked.

Reactions: tonyunreal

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I am thinking of swapping my Air 2 with the Mini 4. I like the size of the Mini 4 but I cannot seem to find confirmation on whether it vibrates like the Air 2 when playing sound/music which is one of the things I don't like about the Air 2.

Some say the vibrations are all gone - some say they are still there...

Can anyone confirm either of those statements?

Mini 4 does not vibrate like the Air 2. Period.

It is on par with the Air. Take that to the bank.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Mini 4 does not vibrate like the Air 2. Period.

It is on par with the Air. Take that to the bank.

I still can't believe the Air 2 made it out of the prototyping phase with that much vibration. Clearly the solution was achievable. Just appalling that Apple would release something like that.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I still think the vibration on the Air 2 was nothing. I enjoyed the clear sound and good level of base it had. Mine was a dream to use. I wish the Mini 4 actually did have the same or a similar type of speakers the Air 2 had. The mini 2-3 have terribly quiet speakers, so I was hoping the mini 4 would have remedied that issue, lol.

Kal.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
ok, missed the question earlier..... so, my Mini 4 does not vibrate when playing music as loud as possible. The sound on the Mini 4 is much louder than the Mini 2. I currently have both. I am hearing impaired with only 40% of my hearing left. WITH hearing aids, I could not hear the Mini 2 very well and was useless for playing music without headphones. The Mini 4 oth is quite acceptable to me. WITH hearing aids, I can hear the music, it has a full sound and I don't feel or hear any vibration. Possibly because of my hearing problem I am missing something, but I am way happy with the sound of the Mini 4.

Last edited:

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015

I got over this about 30 seconds after getting my Air 2 last year....so did everyone else.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
What vibration?? I can feel the entire Air 2 vibrate from very loud volumes but there is no audible vibration or distortion from the speakers. The Air 2 is noticeably louder than the mini 4 so I can't really find a fault with either designs.

Skyhawk21

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
I just went through two Air 2s with different issues week before mini 4 came out. First one had bad screen with thick darkening around borders of display kind of like book spine thing. That one had speakers that got super loud and vibrated the air 2 in your hand like a vibrating bed.

Second air 2 looked fine at the store and speakers were less louder, as compared to other one and screen looked ok. Got home in a normal light condition in room and notice in portrait half left of screen yellow "warmer" color other side of screen from center to right blue white. So very bad uneven screen on solid colors. This air 2 also vibrated with speakers but it was not as bad as the first one I tried. With volume 20-30 percent it was manageable.

I wanted to keep that one but the screen being yellow tinted on half of it and white on other was not fun to look at compared to my air 1 having a good white color brightness even across the whole screen.

Returned them, found out mini 4 was coming and got one. Screen is amazing compared to air 1 I own and the two defective out of box Air 2's.

Volume at max on mini four is a tad louder than my mini 2. At max volume speakers distort kind of but there is absolutely no vibration from speakers shaking the housing or frame of tablet in hand.

Compared to my mini 2, quality of audio is a tad worse instead of better than my mini 2.

My mini two has amazing little speakers, and from others who have heard them, they cannot believe the sound quality, bass, and lows, mids, and highs are distinguishable. They have a full dynamic range.

Mini 4 speakers sound good but are yet different from the mini 2, air 1 and compared to an air 2 way better.

I got over this about 30 seconds after getting my Air 2 last year....so did everyone else.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
To the OP, I'd say trust your own hearing first. There's really no way to know unless you test the iPad Mini 4 out.

There's some distortion / vibration when I had briefly the iPad Mini 4 on full volume while watching movies; but it was nowhere near as bad as the iPad Air and Air 2 models I tried out. Movie sound mixes have become increasingly obnoxious over the past 15 years or so but below maximum volume the Mini 4 sounds great.

There was no vibration or echo when listening at 1/2 - 1/3 volume (I never play anything at full volume for long, I lower the volume as soon as I can. Full volume anything annoys me.)

My two sound tests:

A variety of modern and older films and noisy, death metal and discordant film soundtracks. At the lower volumes, the iPad Mini 4 handled it all quite well. No distortion / vibration. I heard bass and the various highs and lows with no complaints. At full volume though, the sound became distorted with a little vibration. Being that I never listen at full volume, I do not personally find it an issue.

My only issue with the iPad Mini 4 is the utter bugfest of iOS9.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Not, not everyone. The back vibrating is one thing, but when the damn screen vibrates so much that it numbs your finger that's absolute garbage design. My wife returned hers and I don't blame her.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I thought this would be about an actual vibrate feature like the iPhone. I wish that the ipad did have some sort of vibration motor, or like the new iPhone a Taptic Engine.

Skyhawk21

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
I thought this would be about an actual vibrate feature like the iPhone. I wish that the ipad did have some sort of vibration motor, or like the new iPhone a Taptic Engine.

Unfortunately Apple leaves this out of tablets for some oddball reason or another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.