So does the trackpad move at all?

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
I owned this Macbook for 2 weeks

I'm still in disbelief about the haptic feedback and can't believe the secondary click isn't a real movement nor physical click and just feedback.

Does the trackpad move at all or is it just a solid piece of glass/metal that provides haptic feedback?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
It does move very slightly. It does not click physically. If the computer is off, you can't really feel the travel, but you can visibly see it move.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
I owned this Macbook for 2 weeks

I'm still in disbelief about the haptic feedback and can't believe the secondary click isn't a real movement nor physical click and just feedback.

Does the trackpad move at all or is it just a solid piece of glass/metal that provides haptic feedback?
It moves, but only the tiniest amount. Nothing that you could see. Only enough for the strain gauge to know the difference. It is very convincing though!

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
It's more of a very slight, downward "flex", as you put pressure on it. It's so slight that it's virtually imperceptible. But the "click" that you feel is not an actual movement of the pad. It's a simulated click, actuated by the haptic engine underneath the pad. It's tapping you...you're not actually clicking it. Pretty cool...

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
I was just trying it for a short while. There's a little kick to it, but I couldn't tell what it was really doing.

But I think like others say it's just a combination of very slight downward movement with vibration added to increase feedback. Very nice.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Its an engineering feat. If I didn't know the trackpad didn't 'move,' I would think its just a normal trackpad.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
This is an amazing engineering feat. Together with the keyboard which lacks travel but I have grown totally accustomed to. I bought the first gen iPhone 6 plus and now the rMB 12. I have no regrets, I think these are two great products. Just difficult to find accessories for the rMB 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Costino1

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
The accuracy of the keyboard is spectacular; I find it a lot easier to use than the keyboard on a lot of 'traditional' Windows laptops ...

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
If I hadn't already known, I would have bet money that it was physically clicking down. I also have a 2013 MBA, and I really wouldn't have noticed a difference. It's pretty amazing technology.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
I can't believe I'm being so OTT in praise about a trackpad, but it really is a thing of beauty - it is a joy to use. Echo other comments regarding the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.