So does the trackpad move at all?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Costino1, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

I owned this Macbook for 2 weeks

I'm still in disbelief about the haptic feedback and can't believe the secondary click isn't a real movement nor physical click and just feedback.

Does the trackpad move at all or is it just a solid piece of glass/metal that provides haptic feedback?

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

It does move very slightly. It does not click physically. If the computer is off, you can't really feel the travel, but you can visibly see it move.

3. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

It moves, but only the tiniest amount. Nothing that you could see. Only enough for the strain gauge to know the difference. It is very convincing though!

4. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

It's more of a very slight, downward "flex", as you put pressure on it. It's so slight that it's virtually imperceptible. But the "click" that you feel is not an actual movement of the pad. It's a simulated click, actuated by the haptic engine underneath the pad. It's tapping you...you're not actually clicking it. Pretty cool...

5. Macalway macrumors 68000

I was just trying it for a short while. There's a little kick to it, but I couldn't tell what it was really doing.

But I think like others say it's just a combination of very slight downward movement with vibration added to increase feedback. Very nice.

6. Costino1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Costino1

Its an engineering feat. If I didn't know the trackpad didn't 'move,' I would think its just a normal trackpad.

7. polee, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

polee macrumors 6502a

polee

This is an amazing engineering feat. Together with the keyboard which lacks travel but I have grown totally accustomed to. I bought the first gen iPhone 6 plus and now the rMB 12. I have no regrets, I think these are two great products. Just difficult to find accessories for the rMB 12.

8. Sirolway macrumors 6502

The accuracy of the keyboard is spectacular; I find it a lot easier to use than the keyboard on a lot of 'traditional' Windows laptops ...

9. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

If I hadn't already known, I would have bet money that it was physically clicking down. I also have a 2013 MBA, and I really wouldn't have noticed a difference. It's pretty amazing technology.

10. Elise macrumors 6502

I can't believe I'm being so OTT in praise about a trackpad, but it really is a thing of beauty - it is a joy to use. Echo other comments regarding the keyboard.