Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
As always with these things do assume that it updates in real time.

Also messaging is sometimes supported with a zero balance but it just catches up after you refill.

I'm suspect that even if it's using a DATA connection to send the message that either AOL's servers or the App itself will message AT&T to reduce the subscribers message quota by one.

AT&T is not going to blindly stand by and allow DATA to canabolize their SMS revenue.

Awesome. Thanks for confirming this. The more people that can confirm this the better...

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008

Also messaging is sometimes supported with a zero balance but it just catches up after you refill.

I'm suspect that even if it's using a DATA connection to send the message that either AOL's servers or the App itself will message AT&T to reduce the subscribers message quota by one.

AT&T is not going to blindly stand by and allow DATA to canabolize their SMS revenue.
Why not? Aren't we already paying $30 for the data plan? If IM becomes the norm in the future ATT will just up the cost of the data plans.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out it is data.

If it was SMS and you closed the app, you would get an SMS notification. You don't. The description also just mentions data as what it uses, as I had stated before.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out it is data.

If it was SMS and you closed the app, you would get an SMS notification. You don't. The description also just mentions data as what it uses, as I had stated before.
Well you do have to take in consideration that some of these phones out there that have IM already on them are counted as text. I was a verizon customer and I know that they counted their IM applications as text.
My hope is that since this is 3rd party IM it wont have any direct ties to ATT so that they can't monitor it has text.

cboom4250

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
Hope this helps...

How do I send text messages using AIM?

To send a text message using AIM for iPhone, tap the IMs button and then tap the new IM button in the upper right corner of the screen. Enter your buddy's full phone number like: +14085551212. You can also enter just the 10 digit number and we'll add the +1 for you. You can also add phone numbers to your Buddy List view by entering the full number in the Add Buddy panel. Currently, you can only send messages to mobile phones in North America (phone numbers in country code 1).

What does it cost to send text messages using AIM?

AOL does not charge a fee to send text messages using AIM. Text messages are treated the same as normal IM messages and are included as part of your device's data plan.

From http://daol.aol.com/software/mac/iphone/aim/faq (found through App Store AIM Support link and then the FAQ)

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
WOW some ppl are really DUMB!!!

IF IT DID CHARGE as TEXT MESSAGE.. it wouldn't be available for the iPod Touch! IT USES 3G, EDGE, WiFI, what more proof do you need. People at AT&T dont' know jack SH*T. IT USES DATA... can we move along now please? THANKS!

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
WOW some ppl are really DUMB!!!

IF IT DID CHARGE as TEXT MESSAGE.. it wouldn't be available for the iPod Touch! IT USES 3G, EDGE, WiFI, what more proof do you need. People at AT&T dont' know jack SH*T. IT USES DATA... can we move along now please? THANKS!
You are aware that their are some IM apps out their that are directly connected to the phone provider meaning they can regulate IM as text right??
This is very good news to me as im sure it is to many others on this forum.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
You are aware that their are some IM apps out their that are directly connected to the phone provider meaning they can regulate IM as text right??
This is very good news to me as im sure it is to many others on this forum.

YES, like the Razor and such.. iPhone is different... i use to have a pocket pc phone that i used my wifi and data for IM.. so i know a bit bout those stuff

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
if you use AIM you can type in the persons phone number and it will send them an SMS for free. Never be charged for using your SMS messages again :)

lgivens

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2000
AIM for iPhone

I was looking at the AIM apps description and it says "send and receive messages over WiFi, EDGE, or 3G networks" in the description.

Does that mean that messages count as data and not SMS? Could someone please confirm?

Hello Everyone,
I'm the AOL Mac Product Lead and wanted to make sure everyone had the best information.

First, AIM for iPhone DOES NOT use SMS for messaging. It uses the AIM servers at AOL.

You CAN send an AIM message to a SMS account in the U.S. by formatting the IM to: +13335551212 - You will not be charged an SMS message from AIM but the recipient may be charged an SMS when receiving (this is subject to the recipient's mobile plan).

Thanks...
Lee Givens
AOL Mac Product Lead

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Edit: ^^^ he beat me to it.

Why is it still unclear?

My picture says:

AOL does not charge a fee to send text messages using AIM.

Yes, that part is not what we're talking about.

"Text messages are treated the same as normal IM messages and are included as part of your device's data plan."

So SMS and normal IMs are treated the same.

Therefore, if normal IMs are part of the data plan, then so are SMS. If SMS is included as part of the data plan, then so are normal IMs.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Lee thanks for clearing that up.

Very good info, and very nice application. I already moved it to be my primary IM device now.

lgivens

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2000
AIM will not count against AT&T AIM SMS

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to emphasize. The AOL AIM app for iPhone does not have any back-end connection to AT&T's SMS and sending an AIM message to any other user on the AIM network will not count against your SMS allotment.

You can send 1 billion (or less, depending on how tired your fingers are) IMs to other AIM/iChat users on the on the AOL network and not be charged for a single SMS message. Stop by the Mac@AOL Blog for more information on AOL's Mac and iPhone products.

thanks...
Lee Givens
AOL Mac Product Lead
http://macblog.aol.com

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Awesome. Thanks for confirming this. The more people that can confirm this the better...

Although I would like to say, I wonder why they even mention SMS at all in that promotional ad... Where they say that SMS is not available in all countries... Weird. Because as far as the user is concerned, there is no SMS involved on their end, only the receiving party if it gets sent to a cell phone.

That is just how aim works. You can Instant Message a cell phone here in the United States, but won't work in all countries. As people before you said it is still data because it goes through the server, like you can send a Text (SMS) to a mobile phone using ichat.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to emphasize. The AOL AIM app for iPhone does not have any back-end connection to AT&T's SMS and sending an AIM message to any other user on the AIM network will not count against your SMS allotment.

You can send 1 billion (or less, depending on how tired your fingers are) IMs to other AIM/iChat users on the on the AOL network and not be charged for a single SMS message. Stop by the Mac@AOL Blog for more information on AOL's Mac and iPhone products.

thanks...
Lee Givens
AOL Mac Product Lead

Hi! I think what people are most confused is: AT&T's losing bandwidth or whatever. If you can send as many SMS from AIM, then who's paying for the bandwidth? Is it AOL that's paying? Or does AT&T not mind?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Lee,

One follow up if you come back. What happens when the person who receives an SMS replies? Does it come back to AIM?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Hi! I think what people are most confused is: AT&T's losing bandwidth or whatever. If you can send as many SMS from AIM, then who's paying for the bandwidth? Is it AOL that's paying? Or does AT&T not mind?

You are paying $30 a month.

lgivens

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2000
Lee,

One follow up if you come back. What happens when the person who receives an SMS replies? Does it come back to AIM?

Hey Marksman,
When you initiate an IM session with an SMS-capable phone, on the AIM side, it looks just like a standard IM session. On the SMS side, it looks just like a standard SMS session. The AIM network handles the SMS gateway and it just works.

For all those new to the forum, IM sessions between AIM for iPhone and AIM/iChat users on desktops or iPhones will never get charged for SMS messages. If you send a +12223334444 (Mobile SMS gateway) buddy, the SMS side of the conversation may incur SMS charges.

Thanks...
Lee Givens
AOL Mac Product Lead
AOL iPhone Apps

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
YES, like the Razor and such.. iPhone is different... i use to have a pocket pc phone that i used my wifi and data for IM.. so i know a bit bout those stuff

Really? So do you think that maybe, just maybe that you might know a little bit more than people who haven't used those types of phones before?

CHILL OUT

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
You CAN send an AIM message to a SMS account in the U.S. by formatting the IM to: +13335551212 - You will not be charged an SMS message from AIM

Hey Lee! glad to see AOL taking so much interest in  community :D

I have couple of questions - which countries besides USA have this service also? more specifically :
1) to which countries I can send SMS using your service? (free of charge/ATT charges)
2) from which countries I can receive message in iPhone AIM app, which originated as SMS? (if corresponding countries/abilities for this two scenarios differ)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.