So essentially, with the new larger screens, we end up copying competitors.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Bobby Corwen, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

[​IMG]

First iOS7 copied the feel of Android in certain ways.

Now iPhone is copying the jumbo screen feel and it kind of comes back full circle, essentially signyfying that the competition was where we were going to be years ahead of us. I mean look at that phone on the right; it just feels like and looks like it is turning into what the competition has had for so long now.

Looking back in hindsight, when do you guys think Apple should have made the push and came out with a larger screen? Around iPhone 4 era?

I can't help feeling like its admitting we should have done it before.

2. cynics macrumors G3

I wouldn't say that a bigger screen is copying since there are bigger screened iOS devices. Plus everything we know now is rumored.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Who is this "we" you keep referring to??
    I don't have anything to do with what Apple does

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

What they are doing now is fine, they haven't had trouble selling iphones without jumbo screens, i could only imagine a larger screen would bring in more sales.

5. shawndc1 macrumors regular

copycat i dont think so

every phone company has basically copied apple from day 1 when it comes to phones from designs to layouts, apple isnt copying anybody the larger screen is some what a trend and apple sees this, this is why the phone will come in 2 diff sizes (supposedly) for those who in fact want a larger iphone and those who dont mind a bit larger screen. i personally want a larger iphone not the big galaxy size 5in screen, i dont mind more screen we cant keep paying hundreds for the same thing each year

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't think it's copying because I think apple coul have thought of a bigger screen on their own. And a ton of phones have big screens are they all copying each other?

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I don't want a bigger screen. In that respect I think Apple has stayed ahead of the curve longer by continuing to keep their phones small.

8. daimos macrumors member

Good artists copy, great artists steal. (-jobs)

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

How does a size of a device have anything to do with coping? That is beyond a generic thing to complain about, hey that guys hair is the same length as mine he copied!, your shoes are a size 10 too! copy cat!!!

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Bottom line, it's copying the competition but when Apple does it, it's not. That will be the majority opinion you will find here.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Apple does this well. Let everyone else make larger screens, then come along and do it better.

12. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Exactly how are they going to do it better? You really can't get much better than how the moto X did it. Same size body as the iphone 5 with a 4.7 inch screen. Much more comfortable to hold as well.

----------

Exactly. I am already seeing people in this thread performing these exact mental gymnastics.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm unclear on the importance of the source of an idea, as long as it works in a way that pleases the owner.

All I want is a device that does what I want it to do...I don't really came from where the idea came.

14. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

No, first Android copied the feel of iOS in certain ways.

15. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Everyone copies the best bits of what others are doing when it comes to mobile devices.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Bingo. The original iPhone also made calls when it came out, just like tons of basic flip phones were doing for years--they must have copied that from all those phones!

17. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

actually, Picaso

18. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Your post makes absolutely no sense at all.

19. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

and pretty much everything else...the entire world is a copy-cat industry.

20. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

The point is that in the past, the supposed reason for not having large screens is because we didn't want them that large. Now its like, "oh actually we do want them that large". Well what about this whole time? The implication was that we should have had it sooner so its admitting we were behind the curve this whole time just by implication of making one finally.

Well we still won the war, but I can't help feel like they won this battle of screen sizes.

I vividly remember making a big deal about wanting a bigger screen around the time the iPhone 4 came out.

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Isn't Android in itself a "copy" of iOS and pretty much every smartphone on the market now an evolution of the original iPhone from 2007?

All of these things come full circle when it comes to these companies doing what each other are doing in a given industry.

Even though Apple has been outselling the competition with smaller screened phones, they realize that they're missing a segment of the market by not cashing in on the giant screen market as well. They'll make a larger screen phone to address it just like they made the iPad Mini when they realized they were missing a segment of the tablet market.

22. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

What do you mean by when they realized??

...they should've known this would happen the whole time and could have reacted long ago. The tech was obviously there.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I assumed "we the people who have been talking about larger screens and defending Apple for not implementing them for 3+ years now."

24. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Frankly my dear, I don't give a ***** if Apple does or not. Will not loose any sleep over it either. Sorry OP, and others that do. :D

25. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Blah blah copy. ALL of our consumer goods are based in some way by previous products or components/ideas in those products.

If anything, Apple will Perfect a bigger screen experience.