So exactly what happens with our "camera roll"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Tammster, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Forget that it's a beta. Just in general, does anyone know what is supposed to happen to the pictures stored on our camera roll? When the software is downloaded, assuming we restore an iCloud backup, will all of the pictures from the backup get restored to the phone and then all of them will be uploaded to the cloud and then deleted from the phone (since it's not supposed to take up actual room on the phone, based on my understanding).

I have thousands of pictures from years and years and I'm ok with them being in the cloud (as long as there is at least one more backup somewhere else) but I want to make sure they're going to get there properly.

2. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Yes after you upgrade to iOS 8, if you restore from backup all of your previous photos get reinstalled to your phone and you can continue to use PhotoStream just as before as in iOS 7.

If you the turn on iCloud Photo Library, then any photo or video from your phone will automatically upload to iCloud and your Camera Roll is replaced by an album called Recently Added (anything not recent shows up in your Photos tab). That works with 8b1.

As for your larger collection of photos, starting in early 2015, you’ll be able to upload and view photos from iPhoto on your Mac.

3. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

So, then at this point the photos (except for the last thousand?) will be REMOVED from your phone? So if you check your storage before and after you turn on the iCloud library you'll see a ton of free space? I think that's what you're saying. Just want to be clear.

Has anyone had that NOT work as explained?

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Question: will we have the option to upload via wifi-only? And if so, where would they be stored until the upload to the cloud?

5. dcp10 macrumors 6502

You can already turn off cellular data for photos in settings - cellular - use cellular data for

I think that would do the trick.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yep sure will. But I guess they stay in the Recent folder until uploaded?

7. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I tried this, and over cellular data it still syncs. I submitted a bug

8. tdar, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

tdar macrumors 6502a

All pics will be removed. The "last 1000" thing is gone. In my case the photos that were on my phone ended up taking just 66MB of space in place of the amount of the pictures. That included the pics synced over from my iPad. It worked just as expected. After more investigation it works right on my iPad but not on the phone....on the phone all the pics are still in memory. Beta 1 and all.

9. dspalton macrumors 6502a

I only have 1,005 showing in recently added, and 996 showing in photo stream.
    Pictures also seam to be taking twice, or at least show twice, not sure if its seeing them in the photo stream and photos as they are recently added.

Collections also go back to 2013, though i know i had stuff from 2009 in there.
    I know its beta, i did copy all pics to iMac before updating

Dave

10. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Mine seems to work right. Syncing circle goes away once I disable Wifi

11. Sharkey311 Suspended

I really don't understand what the difference between iPhoto cloud library and photo stream is. it seems rather confusing and convoluted. I just want my Camera Roll folder back I don't want 2,000+ pictures in "Recently Added" when all of those pictures are in their designated folders already.

12. tdar macrumors 6502a

They won't stay in Recently Added after it's Recently!

13. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Difference between PhotoStream and iCloud Photo Library is that PhotoSteam is limited to 1,000 pics and 30 days, whereas iPL is limited to the storage space you get/buy -- no limits to # of pics or how old they are.

That's a good thing for me, it means that I can have access to 80,000 photos that go back 16 years.

As for your issues with losing the Camera Roll album...shift your thinking that the "Camera Roll" album is the master set to the "Photos" tab is the master set.

ALL of your photos are in the "Photos" tab. If you have 80,000 photos on your library synced, then you'll have 80,000 pics in your Photos tab.

To make it easier to find stuff, you have albums which are SOME of your pics grouped together. "Recently Added" is an album with recent pics. "Panoramas" is another collection of pics from your master Photos tab. You can add whatever albums you want to help you sort through that master set of photos.

14. Sharkey311 Suspended

What I usually do is take pictures througout the week and by the end of it, I plug in my phone to my computer (PC) and put them in their designated folders. I then sync them to my phone via iTunes.

Now this change has happened, I can still do that, but now I have this recently added album that's useless to me. Also, if I take a picture from my phone, it won't let me add it to an existing album created from "My Computer".

I would essentially have to recreate albums from my phone, delete the "my computer" albums and then go from there.

15. Jakerz macrumors regular

How recent is recent though? Are the pictures automatically removed from the "Recently Added" album after a certain amount of time?

Will all of my photos stay in "Recently Added" indefinitely because I'm currently using Photostream and not iCloud Photo Library?

Is anyone having the problem where you want to delete a photo from "Recently Added", but you get promoted if you want to remove it from Photostream. iOS 7 allowed you to remove the photo from your phone, but keep the Photostream version.

16. Sharkey311 Suspended

Yeah I really hope it will be Improved by the GM release. It currently is just awful

17. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

Update

Yesterday I installed iOS 8 onto my 5s and after a few hours all of my photos were downloaded from my iCloud backup (ok, more than a "few hours"). Then, I turned on the iCloud photo album and on my iPad mini (already running iOS 8) I started to see photos showing up. Overnight they all seemingly uploaded to iCloud (I can see them on my mini but NONE on my iMac running Yosemite).

Anyway, I think my iPhone is still utilizing the photos from the phone itself and not from iCloud for two reasons:

1. When I edited a photo on my mini, those edits did not show up on my phone.
    2. See the attached screenshot from my phone that shows a ton of space being used for my camera roll.

What this means is I'm now using over 15g of phone space AND iCloud space. :eek:

I guess it's not a huge deal as I'm sure it's just temporary but wanted to see if others are seeing the same thing or if I'm doing something wrong.

Attached Files:

18. tdar macrumors 6502a

Yep ...That's Beta 1

19. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

So there is no way of viewing these pictures on the mac until 2015. I assumed if you go to finder and your icloud drive that there would be a folder called icloud photo library with all my pictures in it. They do that for their iwork apps now so apart from the app itself I can see them in folders in my icloud drive in finder. With photos it seems it's only in the app and I do hope they change that and let u see the folder in your icloud drive in finder as we'll. That seems the logical way

20. Sharkey311 Suspended

Okay, I really hope this is a beta 1 issue and will be resolved in the public release. But iCloud Photo Library is really driving me mad.

I finally decided to duplicate/create the "From My Computer" albums/folders directly on my iPhone and once I was done, I had 2 of each of my folders. One was the original My Computer albums and the albums I created on my iPhone.

So as to not have 2 of each, I decided to see what would happen when I plugged my phone into iTunes and get rid of the My Computer albums (I figured you would just select the "Photos" tab in iTunes and uncheck it and sync it.

Well, the Photos tab disappeared in iTunes. So I unplugged my phone, turned off iCloud Photo Library and plugged it back into iTunes...Photos tab was back.

To test this further, I unchecked an album that I had synced. It removed the "My Computer" album from my iPhone...but left the replicated album on my iPhone empty...

My question is, how the crap do I add these albums to my phone and get rid of the My Computer ones?

They've really made this process a headache.