So Facetime is another free VOIP...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LEOMODE, Jun 8, 2010.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

will this mean that anyone can talk for free wherever they are (under the circumstances of jailbroken with 3g unrestictor)

was there an option to block your video so u can just talk to them on the phone? then it's just like skype to skype isn't it

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

It seems to be that way. I looked on the ATT site to find out and nothing saying they'll charge for it....

3. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

FaceTime is Wifi only. Nuthin to do with AT&T.

4. Mkz macrumors regular

Mkz

I don't know.

It's basically a phone call.. and I would have thought it would use your minutes up. But maybe not since it's over WiFi for now..

We will find out in the coming days.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Well, it is confusing huh. When Jobs did the demo with Ive, he did initiate it like a phone call first via the phone app, and after Ive picked up the call, then the camera button became enabled. I guess we'll find out on June 24th.

6. Mkz macrumors regular

Mkz

I think it will use up your minutes. I don't mind as I don't make any phone calls at the moment so at least FaceTime will make phone calls interesting again.

7. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I dont think it can use your minutes. It's WIFI only, so you could be using your own internet connection at home, so why should your carrier be allowed to charge you for using it?

When you start with a phone call and then switch to facetime, It must seamlessly disconnect the call through the phone network and switch to using WIFI.

Personally, I think its a bit rich for Apple to be making this out as so revolutionary as they do in the video from the end of the keynote. Video calling over the carrier's network has been around for years! I think in the UK it came around 2004 with the first 3G network. Apple isn't even using 3G. However this never took off, Loads of phones are now capable of video calling but no one uses it. If anything, Facetime has the best chance to make video calling popular

8. CampDavid macrumors member

Apple are saying that they want to make it an industry standard today. I get the feeling we'll see a Mac based app, some stand alone home wifi units and maybe even a plug-in for Skype to really get it into the main.

I don't vendors will charge for it as that could leave the concept dead in the water

9. anthdci macrumors 6502

I said post #194 here that it would be iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 only and was right :D

10. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

If Skype includes video-chat in its application, it would support iPhone to computer chatting. - And would make Facetime redundant very quickly.

C.

11. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

unless apple bans the skype app.......:p:p:p

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

With Apple providing the API's to access both cameras, you can bet Skype will be available pretty shortly with video calling.

If Apples standards are open, why can you only call another iPhone 4?

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I think Apple is trying to make a new standard so no one else has it yet. Didn't he say something about shipping 10 million FaceTime devices by the end of the year? I am sure that includes the iPad (the new one ;-).