So far my only gripe is in the new Mail app

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ndpitch, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ndpitch macrumors 6502

The new mail is great, and so is Lion as a whole. However, I wish apple would have finally added my outgoing mail to the conversation threads.

This need seems even more evident now that they have the conversation view. If you have a long email chain between you and someone else, the conversation view doesn't look like a conversation at all. It's just a big list of all their emails. You have to click show more to see what I have said, and with it you get the gross formatting.

It sure would be nice to have outgoing emails added into the conversation view chain. Maybe a third party plugin can take care of it, because for the longest time Apple has seen no need to add this.

2. HeadTrip macrumors newbie

Yes I agree with this exactly! This is what I was just thinking as I was in a long email conversation with someone.

3. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

You can "Show Related Messages"... I'm not sure EXACTLY what this feature does but for me it seems to have simply included my replies in the appropriate places in the conversation. A bit hacky maybe (not sure if that's the perfect word, but you get the idea) but it works for me as of now.

4. sam12345-2008 macrumors member

The "conversation" feature in mail, isn't working at all for me.
    This was one of the features that really excited me (I send a hell of a lot of emails), yet it seems to be the only one that isn't working.

Has anyone else experienced the standard text viewing of conversations? Or am I missing the point with this feature? Do I have to set anything up?

5. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

When I was playing around with it last night, the Show Related Messages setting seemed to just strip out the conversation view and show the regular quoted text. What has been other people's experience?

In response above, my conversation view "works", but in my opinion it's not really a conversation view.

6. peterbr macrumors newbie

Missing the bounce option, bummer!

Also disappointed on the changes, most of them are in GUI, no change/additions on functionality.

Was expecting a catch up with thunderbird on rule functionality.

Try to create a smart folder where you see all mails with recipients in one group ( from address book) and try to include your own mails send to that group, excluding trash and the 'all mail' folder in gmail.

7. converge macrumors member

This did it for me.

8. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

And doing that shows your replies in the conversation view, without all the gross quoted text? Mine didn't seem to do that. I'll have to play around with it a little more maybe.

9. cas85 macrumors regular

To see my replies in conversation view, at the bottom of every received email i replied to there is an option to "See more from [insert your email user name]".

i click it and a little animation stitches in my reply directly into the conversation.

I like it this way b/c you only see your replies that you want.

10. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Me too. There was something satisfying about returning spam to sender. Can't see any reason for removing this option.

11. peterbr macrumors newbie

I filed a bug report for this and would like to ask others to do this too to get the feature back.

12. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Seriously? Conversation view doesn't show your sent messages? There goes my chances of ditching Gmail's website... Unless this thing that needs fixing gets fixed? I don't have Lion yet so I can't see what you're talking about.

13. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Yes it shows your sent messages if the Show Related Messages option is enabled in preferences.

14. LastZion macrumors 6502a

the full screen reply is TERRIBLE.
    being locked into a reply, I often have 3, 4 replies on the go that I work on for a while and like to go back and check on other things, just terrible feature...

15. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Wow, thanks for posting this. Makes conversation view so much better.

16. seetheforest macrumors member

How else could you do this if you are in a full-screen window? If you clicked off of your reply how could you get it back? I really can't see how you are upset at the implementation when there is really no alternative.

17. Kanunu, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Kanunu macrumors 6502