So..... Firefox 4 is 64bit and chrome is...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Benz63amg, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

Hey guys, so im sitting here and i have both chrome 12 and firefox 4 and i notice that on my 2011 imac, firefox has much better scrolling effect, as in Smoothness of the scrolling, its faster, so i was wondering and i checked activity monitor, so.. Firefox 4 runs in 64bit! Then i fired up chrome 12 and what do you know, it runs in 32bit!

i think that explains why its a little sluggish compared to firefox when scrolling( a little jerky on some websites). the actualy website loading speeds are great.

firefox has a different problem though which i think is related to flash, the video tears up from time to time when watching videos on sites that use flash like youtube, hulu, that doesnt happen in chrome or safari so..

but its good to know, that explains why the scrolling in chrome wasnt the best i guess while in firefox its smooooooth like butter :D

2. sth macrumors 6502a

No. 64bit support does not result in any user-perceptible performance differences.

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

what do u mean no? 64bit apps run better than 32 bit apps.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

You will not see a difference in a browser. Apps you would see a difference in would be something like ZBrush (which needs 64 bit support for working with HD geometry more efficiently) or something very CPU intensive like Handbrake.

5. sth macrumors 6502a

64bit apps can use more than 2gb of RAM per process and benefit from some minor CPU architecture improvements, but nothing that would cause a noticable performance difference.

6. P Mentior macrumors regular

^ This. And since Chrome runs each tab in its own thread the 2gb ram limit is not an issue.

7. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

i dont know but for me , when i use chrome, the scrolling in pages is kindda choppy in a way, in firefox is so smooth its not even funny, im using a magic mouse so i have smooth scrolling, not the "step scrolling" that the mighty mouse and other mouses have.

with smooth scrolling its very noticable if the scrolling is smooth or not and i dont know why but with chrome its smooth on some sites and not so smooth on others, safar is same story, but firefox 4 is smooth on every single website.

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Nothing to do with 64 bit. Nothing AT ALL.