So, folks have to use an adaptor to access CF cards, correct?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fishcough, Jan 18, 2011.

1. fishcough macrumors newbie

As I continue my research with the goal of moving from tape to solid state, I'm seeing some prosumer level camcorders utilize CF only for video (is that possible? Think that's what I'm seeing with the canon xf100 for instance), but macbook pros only have SD/SDHC slots? So an adaptor of some sort is in order?

Forgive me if I've missed something and thanks in advance for helping me get this sorted out.

2. simsaladimbamba

You'll need a CF card reader, there are many out there, even ones with FW800 interface for faster transfer.

3. fishcough thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That's what I figured. I think I'll be looking for a camera that records straight to SD so I don't have another item that can get lost (or broken).

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker if you have a really nice camera that uses CF. Although I do wish my MacBook Pro was one of the newer models with the built in SD slot. Come to think of it, I have an ExpressCard slot, maybe I can find a good SD card reader to keep plugged into my Mac...

5. jampat macrumors 6502a

This isn't the best plan. CF cards are more fault tolerant than SD cards due their architecture. Personally I put the safety of data soooo far ahead of carrying a $30 card reader than there is no reason to think of any other solution.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

$30? :eek:

OP, go out and buy a new multi-card reader. Shop around, you can find them for under $5.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0319528

http://www.frys.com/product/6076668?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The XF100 is part of Canon's professional line. It records 4:2:2 images using MPEG2 at 50mbps so needs the higher speeds of CF. Some other professional cameras record on SxS media (Sony) or P2 cards.

AVCHD-based cameras all use SDHC cards (I think ... I'm sure someone will let me know of exceptions) but are limited to a 24 mbps rate and 4:2:0 images

If you are in the market for a professional camera, select the camera on the basis that it has the features and abilities you need, not because it uses one type of media over another. Unless it's that stupid Memory Stick thing ;)

8. fishcough thread starter macrumors newbie