So for next year...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doverlock, Sep 19, 2014.

1. doverlock macrumors regular

doverlock

I'm doing AT&T Next this go-around, but plan on paying off the phone after a few months.

If I wanted to pre-order an off-contract/unlocked iPhone that would work with AT&T next year, (1) would this be possible to pre-order and (2) what options would I choose?

I hate that Apple has you select a carrier for your phone, and then you're locked to two options with AT&T: either Next, or 2-year contract. I would prefer buying the phone out-right so I could select 'In-Store Pickup' as an option to grab the phone, something I couldn't do this year because pickup wasn't allowed for Next orders.

I was thinking maybe the 'contract-free' T-Mobile orders, but I wasn't sure if you had to associate those phones with a T-Mobile line.

2. silentbob007 macrumors regular

You do not, though they were not available on the app this year so we had to wait to get into the site. My closest Apple Store did not have any T-Mobile models for in store pickup when I looked, though they very possibly might just have been for plus models.

3. doverlock thread starter macrumors regular

doverlock

So the only way for AT&T users to get an unlocked and non-financed phone is thru the T-Mobile option. It looks as though this has been successful for people who ordered the 'T-Mobile version' (looking at the model numbers I'm pretty sure it's the same device) and swapping in their AT&T SIM.

You bring up a good point, with the Apple Store (website) snafu, and the absence of T-Mobile on the Apple Store App, most T-Mobile users were constrained to the 7-10 day shipping window.

I just wish there was just a simple 'Contract Free' option during pre-order. I think they add that in later on once demand levels out.

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think they keep it to contracts as much as possible to help thwart scalpers.

5. doverlock thread starter macrumors regular

doverlock

Valid point. I wish there was another way to filter out the scalpers though.

However (just checked the UK Apple Store website), they provide a SIM free option. Does anyone know if this option was also available during pre-order? If so, :(.

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I guess one way would be to allow an iPhone purchase per line (validate that the person owns an existing line without necessarily making them use a contract, but just to verify that they have an open account). Also, limiting purchases to credit cards and declining transactions if more than 2 are bought on a card or (if CC companies cooperate) per person.

I am not sure how many extremes Apple wants to go, since to them a unit sold is a unit sold. Plus, some measures might mean that legitimate people get screwed and it becomes a PR nightmare. I think they got sued over the "no cash policy" in years past.

Maybe in a few years they will make pre-orders available only to those using Apple Pay lol.

7. doverlock thread starter macrumors regular

doverlock

Some sort of verification that you own an account/line would be good. But I guess it could get messy if you were gifting the phone for a family or friend. So yes, there are definitely a lot of implications to every policy.

I would even be mostly satisfied if they allowed AT&T Next orders for in-store pickup. Then I could just pay it off and unlock it after a few months. Maybe they'll add that on next year...

8. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I was told by an AT&T agent that with my NEXT 12, I can upgrade in a year and pre-order the phone. I just will have to return my current phone within 2 weeks of receiving my new one. :)

9. doverlock thread starter macrumors regular

doverlock

From my understanding that is correct! I just want the convenience of doing in-store pickup next year (couldn't with Next this year for some odd reason), and would rather pay in full than have the $750-850 charge chopped up on my bill. :)

10. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

What could be more convienient than shipping the phone to your house? That's what I did and had no issues with it :)

Also, 0% interest is still actually costing AT&T money on the finance side. There's no reason ever to turn down 0% interest unless they actually pay you money to finance (negative interest).

11. doverlock thread starter macrumors regular

doverlock

My office is close to one of the Apple Stores in Austin, so I could've just stopped by on lunch and picked it up. UPS/FedEx are always unpredictable when they arrive at my apartment complex, and it would be difficult to take a day off from work.

And I agree! It's a pretty sweet deal, I just rather pay off my commitment if I have the money rather than spreading out the payments.