So fragile... ;(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darwing, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwing macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was hoping for good durability but watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If you break the back you can replace it for $29.

If you break the front you would have broken a 3G/3Gs front as well so you simply pay $199 for a brand new replacement.

No complaints from me on the 4s build quality...

3. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

3G and3gs were built better I feel. With the screen on the for the 4 out of the bezel it makes it more susceptible to damage the 3G and the 3GS didn't have that

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Wow not like this hasn't been brought up a million times before...... but sure I'll bite. The phone isn't fragile at all. It is very well made. If you toss your $800 laptop around don't you think it will break? How about your $800 LCD Tv, or any other expensive electronic device? I know people keep coming up with the fact it's a phone and it will be dropped ect ect. I don't find that to be a convincing argument. Get some responsibility and take care of your very expensive electronic devices. OR if you decide you can't stop dropping your expensive devices, buy a different device and let the adults that can take care of things use the iPhone.

5. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yeah I had my iPhone 4 since launch to the launch of the 4S and I managed to keep it in pristine condition. It's not hard to take care of your phone. You just need to be somewhat aware and not be careless.

6. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

I've owned every iPhone except the 3GS and dropped them too many times to count. The only one that ever broke was the 4. I got a replacement and was smart enough to get a case for this one.

I mean honestly, we know what it is when we buy it. It's a screen sandwiched between two pieces of glass. Chances are if it goes naked, and it drops from any considerable height, it's gonna break....

7. GWagon macrumors member

Are you serious? It being a phone doesn't have to convince you that it is more susceptible to drops, because it is a fact.

You don't carry around your LCD TV, you don't walk around using your laptop like you do a phone - It is mostly used on a desk or on your lap, while a mobile phone is with you everywhere you go and is used mostly while standing up.

But go on, keep defending it like it were your baby that can do no wrong. The iPhone has it's flaws, as do all the other smartphones out there. One of the flaws of the iPhone is that if you drop it once then you're most like dishing out hundreds of dollars for a repair.

You say that if you drop it then it is your fault, but wouldn't it be a BETTER phone if it was less susceptible to smashing when dropped? Not everyone is perfect like you I'm afraid and accidents do happen.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You can always get a more than ugly thing called an Otterbox!

The reason people love the iPhone is because of the glass on the front and back. It makes the iPhone a iPhone.

9. DroidRules, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

DroidRules macrumors 65816

IF by a "better phone" you mean made of crappy plastic (yes, like the 3g and 3gs) that could better survive when an irresponsible person abuses it then sure, there are lots of BETTER options out there for you and those like you.

However, if I wanted an ugly plastic phone I would go buy any phone with the android flavor of the month on it or a 3gs....... But seeing as I'm not 5 years old and can actually plan my movements around NOT dropping my $800 phone, I rather enjoy the top shelf craftsmanship, feel and by far the most awesome look of stainless steel and glass.
    The time I decide I can't control my body and start dropping my phone is the time I'll pick up the latest and greatest plastic offering from either Apple or one of the other companies that are making such "child proof" devices.
    You're right, accidents do happen..... and accidents are also teaching moments. IF you "accidently" drop your phone and have to pay what you think is a lot of $ to get it fixed/a new one and you have the same "accident" again, maybe it's time to pick up one of the plastic phones because you are obviously not responsible enough to own an i4/4s. IF you keep getting 4/4s knowing you have no control over your body than you have no right to bitch about it breaking when dropped.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When you buy a phone that has glass on the front and back, why complain of its fragility?

Some phones will survive a drop better then the iPhone because they have less glass, not because they are better made. If you're worried get a case that is designed to protect your iPhone or buy a different phone that has more plastic.

11. GWagon macrumors member

Oh wow, so you wouldn't rather have a good looking phone while being more rugged and resistant to smashing? I guess you'd go to any lengths in order to protect your precious so I would be wasting my breath arguing with you.

I just want to say that WHEN Apple solve the problem with the current iPhone being too fragile with the redesign, I will be waiting for the fan-bois to come out and claim how great and rugged the new phone is compared to the previous model.

----------

They ARE better made because they do not use unsuitable materials for devices which the vast majority of people are likely to drop. What is the point in buying a glass phone for it's looks and feel, when 90% of people go out and buy cheap plastic casings to protect it, afraid they may destroy it, anyway?

12. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I guess that's about where my state of mind is, too.

The iPhone 4/4S is a lovely industrial design...just beautiful.

But there are some jobs and some hobbies which might warrant the purchase of a different device. Somehow I rather doubt that Chef Ramsey has an iPhone. :)

----------

You're probably right.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that the next iPhone will have a metal back.

13. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

owned the iphone4 since launch...even though I was careful I dropped it a few times onto wood, carpet, concrete and even into a mud puddle.

Never broke, never had an issue...When it got wet I let it dry out and it was fine.

Bottom line is accidents happen, but people just need to be more careful attentive.

14. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Obviously so they can fill up forums complaining about it. :) The full glass enclosure is one of 2 complains I have about it, but I DID put mine in an Otterbox Defender to counter that problem. Having second thoughts about it though, such a darn big case.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This has been posted several times already
    Please search the Forums to find other active threads on the subject

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.