So Frustrated Ready to Switch to Droid

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jschlis, Mar 12, 2012.

1. jschlis macrumors newbie

I don't know what has happened but in the last 2 weeks my battery usage has been terrible. Today w/o using just hitting the home button to see the usage here is what I got with nothing running. I have a jailbroken verizon running 5.0.1. Have installed no new apps and taken out quite a few. Below is a list of installed apps. I have all settings set for low battery usage. At the end of my rope, even thing about updating with no jail break but think I will miss it to much. Anybody have battery issues with any of the apps listed below that I have left?

8:04 - 80%
    8:18 - 78%
    8:40 - 74%
    8:50 - 72%
    9:10 - 71%
    9:17 - 70%
    9:28 - 69%

Activator
    Anicons
    Applocker
    Aptbackup
    Ask to Call
    Ask to Send
    Auto 3G
    CopyPasteFix
    CyDelete
    DeleteWord
    Depersist/icontrol
    EZ Decline
    Five Icon Dock
    Ifile
    Infinidock
    Installous
    Mail Enhancer
    Multicleaner
    PKGBackup
    Respring
    Xbackup
    Overflow/Cascade
    Notifier+
    Fast Copy
    Action Menu Plus
    RingerX VIP
    Battery Info Lite
    Ikeywi
    Folderenhancer
    Icontrol
    Xmessages

2. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

lol...I could be wrong here...but it might be all the apps you have installed that is helping to kill your battery life..

But it could be a multitude of things causing this..not sure what you have tried as far as troubleshooting..

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

then goto droid?

you will be back...they all come back.

4. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Yea man, that is a very very long list. All it takes is 1 of those apps to cause problems. My advice, though extreme, will be the best bet. Remove all apps, evaluate if your battery is good to go. Then start putting only the apps you use often and evaluate battery life as you do that. I had a huge battery issue until I removed SBSettings. Some say it don't, but it did for me. And for the record, battery life isn't the best on Android phones either. I hope you fix your issue. Clearly you got way too many apps.

5. MastahRiz, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Remove one tweak at a time and see if it helps. Multicleaner is a good one to start with.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I think I've read about overflow causing some issues but I'm not sure.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

People install that much stuff that the phone is not designed to run and then cry when there is a problem.

8. LithePanther macrumors 6502

Haha...i love the people saying that's a lot of stuff.

I have over 50 tweaks installed and my battery is FAR better then what the OP listed. So it's not the number of his tweaks - it's a specific tweak or combination of tweaks killing his battery.

I would try disabling Notifier+ and seeing what it's like after.

Or you just have a bad iPhone.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Maybe your crap battery is karma for stealing apps. :rolleyes:

10. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

time to run. installous karma police.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Install over 30 cydia packages and then wonder why...

12. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

auto3g - delete it. isn't for 5.0.1. Likely causing your issue. if you had purchased this tweak, you would know that. :lol

by the way, i probably have more tweaks than that installed, and my battery lasts all day.

13. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

it's not a list of apps that's killing your battery, it's which apps!..

any thing that regularly requires you to turn your phone on, or is constantly sending/receiving (push email for example) is what will kill it.

I admit I hate manufacturers claims that you can get 400 hours of standby time since who ever leaves their phone on stand by and doesn't touch it??

However, last summer I went on holiday with my girlfriend, and she left her phone at home (accidentally). We were away for 10 days and when we came back..her phone still had about 6% left...after 10 days...I admit I was totally stunned.

Obviously she hadn't had many phone calls or text since she had used my phone to tell everyone not to bother...but still..10 days!!

so, look at what is using your phone. Their used to be an app (only for JB and I can't remember it's name) that tracked data usage. You'd be surprised at just what uses data when you think it isn't and just how much some of the other apps use.

14. jschlis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the input. It is not the amount of apps since it was working fine a few weeks ago with the apps installed. I am slowly taking apps out one by one to see what happens. Again appreciate the input.

15. Balibalistic macrumors regular

I'm having the exact same problem over the last couple weeks. all I have is sbsettings and bitesms. my battery has been amazing until the last couple weeks??

16. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Did you install anything aside from that and have since removed it? I installed a cracked version of infinidock(to test it before I bought it) and I noticed my battery life was a little worse than usual I removed it and after a bit it was back to normal.

17. Balibalistic macrumors regular

nope, I have had these since jb was released and my battery just randomly turned to s*it.

18. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Weird, if your still in warranty get a new one! That seems to be the best fix, was for me at least lol. I have seen mixed reviews about the new iOs 5.1 and their supposed battery life fix.

Also basic care of your phone is good as well, try not to leave it sitting on the charger to long, let it completely die and fully charge every now and then. Also, make sure location based iAds are disabled, diagnostics and usage, Ping ,the usual stuff.

19. Balibalistic macrumors regular

thanks for the tips. I'm going to let it fully die today then recharge. I generally charge over night, bad idea?

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

...and you're expecting better from Android? Good luck with that. You can kill your battery at least as easily on Android (though battery life is greatly affected by usage on either platform despite everyone's typical claims).

^ This. Standard troubleshooting. If you think it's a recent addition you can try the opposite approach -- removing recent additions one-by-one. Generally, though, it's best practice to start with a known-good situation (i.e. clean slate).

21. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

After a while yeah, I believe the battery is a Lithium Ion battery so a full disacharge/recharge helps alot. And I leave mine charging over night once in a while, but if it has a good charge before it is bedtime I tend to leave it off the charger

22. WhoisMedina macrumors member

Remove tweaks one by one and you should find the culprit.

23. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

Android won't be a better solution if you want all those apps LOL.

Look at how many extended batteries are on the market for all the different Android phones...no offense to Android users of course. But simply switching won't fix your problems. :rolleyes:

If you're still under warranty, let Apple take a look at it. Batteries don't just suddenly become that terrible in two weeks...they get worse progressively, but not over the course of two weeks.

Your battery drainage doesn't seem regular, so I would guess it's things that are using your data on and off. From 8:18-8:40, the course of 22 minutes, your battery goes down by 4%. But from 8:50-9:10, the course of 20 minutes, your battery goes down by 1%. Of course, this isn't indicative of anything, but I would say that it's something that is consuming data...perhaps an actual app you downloaded (through Installous LOL :p) that is causing a data drain. Not a jb app, a regular App Store app.

24. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I'd say install cydia tweaks one by one that run in the background like others have pointed out and see if it improves.

Do you have wifi and Bluetooth turned on? Is anything constantly checking for location?

Last resort would probably be restore fresh to ios 5.1 and if it doesn't fix it go to the apple store and get a replacement