Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I imported my pictures to aperture, and in the project window, I have one "lump" of 4000 pictures. They ARE separated by folders and albums (and subfolders), but in the finder, they are just one lump of files. How do I get the files (in the finder) back to a folder structure?! This is so frustrating!

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
Hi eroxx,

Aperture will, by default, store your pictures in its proprietary library. It is designed so you search within the application. However, your original folder structure should be still intact. Just right-click the Aperture library and "view package contents" and you will see your folders in the Finder. Making changes to the files from the Finder isn't a good idea, though.

Alternatively you can have Aperture use referenced masters whereby all your files remain untouched and outside the Aperture library allowing you to organize them to your liking in Finder. Aperture will export Projects as folders if you wish to regain your original setup.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks so much for the reply -- I'm still trying to figure this out. I right clicked and went to each and every folder and everything seemed to be in a proprietary format, and not able to view the album file structure ...?

The photos are in the library/photos, but like I said, they are just a giant "blob" of 4000 files

I DO have my albums within aperture organized by folder/sub-folder ..

problem is, since I moved my library to aperture, I can no longer keep it in a separate place. Plus, I don't really want to do that because that way I won't know what photos are in aperture and which aren't ... Is there another solution?

I'm worried that now I can ONLY view my photos in aperture --- if I want to view them on my windows PC, there is no organization anymore! (I have a cloud sync program that syncs a folder to both computers)

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Let me ask this -

Can I make projects from my album folders?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.