so... gmail on the iphone sucks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terrordemon, Jul 21, 2008.

1. terrordemon macrumors member

just got an iphone yesterday. i love everything about it except for the mail aspect. i use gmail.

1. i cannot search my mail. isnt that one of the biggest advantages of gmail in the first place?
    2. messages do not "stack" as they do in web based gmail; if i have a 20 email long conversation, it will show 20 emails, not 1.
    3 (and probably my biggest problem). when gmail checks for new mail it only checks for new mail in the inbox. i personally use labels extensively, to where i have the items that belong to the labels SKIP the inbox and go directly to the labels. i now have to go into each as a separate inbox and check if there are new messages; i cannot get gmail to check or even DISPLAY that i have new messages without going into it

are all of these real problems? am i missing something???

2. northernpaul macrumors member

To be honest, we're quite lucky to even get free imap mail from Gmail for free. At the moment we're using the Apple mail program, and so your issues will remain until Google/a 3rd party release a client for the iPhone.

3. terrordemon thread starter macrumors member

we're lucky to have something for free... that is originally free?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess they're real problems but when I put a label on something and a new message comes in, it is right back in my inbox as unread. Yes, conversations aren't stacked but in all honesty this never bothered me. I guess it should because that is the beauty of gmail.
    I find gmail on my iphone to be great tbh.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Have you tried just using the web interface? The flaw is that you are using IMAP not AJAX laden Gmail interface. At least what you do on your phone is reflected in the actual Gmail system, unlike when it was only POP3.

TEG

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It's not really that gmail on the iphone sucks, its that imap gmail sucks if you've spent a long time with the web client. You would likely be experiencing these same problems (well, except for the search mail issues, THAT'S a problem) if you suddenly switched from the web client to mail.app, outlook, etc.

Gmail does have a web app that's geared for the iphone which stacks and lists all your labels on the main page.

7. ElecEagle macrumors member

Your frustration is just beginning with the iPhone. I can count at least 20 ways the iPhone is 'functional' ...but just barely.

8. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, his frustration is with gmail. There is no IMAP enabled client (on a phone or a computer) that would give him what he mentioned in his original post.

10. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I'm a long-time Gmail user and lover, and I can understand your frustrations, but I'm not really minding the differences. I just looked at that mobile version of Gmail through Safari, and honestly, setting Gmail up on the iPhone is better--it's not the same, true, but it's easier to look at while on the iPhone.

11. illutionz macrumors 65816

I do not believe there is an IMAP client that can do these stuff...

12. illutionz macrumors 65816

like??
    :D

13. ec51 macrumors 6502

Once I notice that I have a new email I use Gmail's web interface in Safari.

It is so much better, plus you can type in LANDSCAPE. I added a bookmark to my homescreen and it even changed it AUTOmatically to a little Gmail Icon. So as soon as I seea new mail I click on this and use this to respond and whatnot. It is just as useful as the regular Gmail interface.

14. dabigone macrumors regular

QFT. You're trying to compare a webapp to how it's used within another email app. Seriously?

15. Jookbox macrumors 6502

you should check out hotmail mobile in safari. it's crap. luckily i use yahoo, which works great.

16. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I agree with you. There are so many......still love the phone though.

17. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yup. Works very well in safari.

18. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I decided to try that, so I added a bookmark to my home screen, but it didn't automatically create a Gmail icon.

19. ec51 macrumors 6502

When at your actual INBOX, add that bookmark to your homescreen. Mine automatically changed to a Gmail icon.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Just do a search I think you can find many a things that a lot of people don't like about the iPhone.

21. tritonj macrumors 6502a

if you have gmail setup with IMAP all the folders update with mail, so you should see the mail whether it goes to your inbox or not.

as for the mail stacking and other issues, that is something that is part of the gmail webapp and there are no clients out there that have that functionality

22. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

23. View macrumors regular

except the search feature :D

24. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

did you even read the OP?

[​IMG]

25. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

yea and he's expecting too much.

theres nothing wrong with the client.