So going to buy a MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tonytownsend, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Tonytownsend macrumors member

I Need to know would it be more to my advantage to buy a dual 2.26 or single 2.66 I will be running Ableton live and logic 9 on the machine any suggestions?

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'll be using the MP for the same exact apps, so I'm curious about this too.

3. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I say, you are both foolish to pay that much money for an out of date piece of hardware..

4. Tonytownsend thread starter macrumors member

At this piont I need a machine. I dont care. I need to get work done. Its really hard to work smoothly when you have to freeze every track. Plus I run UAD and Powercore stuff I have enough Dsp to hold through any session. I really believe I will not be able to hit more that 50 percent in the cpu bar with a huge session.

5. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

The current Mac Pros are not really that out of date. So what if they don't use the latest six-core chips? Other than those chips there are no killer quad core chip changes other than cache since the current MPs were released and are still more than suitable for most tasks.

As for the question, if either program will use no more than 4 cores then go for the 2.66GHz. If they will use more you may be better off getting the octo-2.26GHz. I am not a user of either program. But since most software rarely uses more than 4 cores (that will change) the faster chip usually is a good thing.

Personally I would likely go for the faster chip for my uses.

6. Halamolo macrumors regular

Watch out for that October/September silent Mac Pro update. ;)

Then you´re gonna feel really miserable with a year and a 9 month old Mac Pro. :p

Or you could wait and there will be no update. :)

7. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

If you need it, GET IT! It will not hurt if they do release something within a few months. It will be a downer but at least you can work easier. Plus everyone knows that as soon as you buy something, it is already out of date because how fast technology is.

8. natallica macrumors 6502

I feel your pain. I've been waiting for a Mac Pro update to run Live and Logic and so I can use my UAD card. I was okay on my little Mac Mini until DCAM Synth Squad and Amplitube 3 came out and sucked my CPU dry! ;-)

-- N

9. fletchmusic macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm in a similar boat - I found the following post useful for seeing how well the different configurations fair in Ableton (I think there is also a Logic equivalent out there somewhere too):

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111880

I just did a CTRL + F / cmd + F search to find the Mac Pros.

At the moment I'm using a 5 year old PC and I want my next purchase (Mac Pro) to last me a similar length of time, which is why I'm holding out for the refresh, mainly just to get the best value for money :)

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I never said I was going to buy the '09 MP. I just wanted to find out if single w/ higher clock or dual w/ lower clock would be better for those apps.

On the record, I'm still waiting for the '10.

11. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

8-core 2.26 Nehelem

[​IMG]

53 instances of Sculptor with Space Designer - not yet maxed out!

(this isn't a composition btw - just to show the point)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you have the right frame of mind. People think they need more and yet they likely don't.
    I think it would be more advantageous for you to buy the 8-core 2.26.

13. Tonytownsend thread starter macrumors member

Im Sold Im gonna buy one!!

14. Halamolo macrumors regular

That´s nothing! You guys settle for so less. Besides iMac 27" i7 can do that just as well. But it´s ok I guess if you don´t need more.

Try couple of heavy Omnisphere 8 patch multis and throw some East Weast Symphonic Orchestra and few other VST instruments + plugins and your Mac Pro is begging for mercy. Then you´re back freezing and bouncing again. :(

15. Tonytownsend thread starter macrumors member

Those are sample based they require more hard drive speed than processor.

16. tmacmo macrumors newbie

Good for you! The funny thing about everyone complaining about the Mac Pro value/price is that they haven't gone and priced a WORKSTATION from Dell or HP. Sit down for 30 minutes with the Dell configuration for a Precision 7500 dual processor. Plug in the exact same specs as the octo Mac Pro, the 2009 Mac Pro. You get the same price. For the same hardware.

In other words, Dell is selling the exact equivalent of a 2009 8 core Mac Pro TODAY, just like Apple is. At the same price. Sure, you can load the Dell Precision with dual 6-core Xeons, but you pay $4000 extra for them. Yep, Dell wants 4 grand for the fastest ones.

No way around it: the current 2009 Mac Pro is good buy. If Apple were to bring out a 12 core, they would have to charge $4500. Just like Dell. :eek:

So, buy the Mac Pro. I'm unboxing mine right now. It's beautiful.

17. VirtuallyReal macrumors member

That was just mean.

If i have to wait untill October, i'll hang myself!:eek:

Steve please, gimme my MP, NOW!

18. Halamolo macrumors regular

My understanding is that they load the samples into RAM. Plus lot of Omnisphere´s sounds don´t even use samples at all. That instrument can really give even a Mac Pro really hard time.

Bottom line, the Mac Pro is wayyyy outdated. I mean 18 months old and still the same price. Gimme a break! :eek:

19. Halamolo macrumors regular

Hehehe, tell me about it! But really the Apple is the bad guy here.

Let´s kill all ourselves to protest this Mac Pro situation! (Some dark humor there). :)

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Buy the cheapest Mac Pro Quad and replace the quad processor with a Core i7 980X.

There, 6 cores at 3.33 GHz.

21. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

mmm.

22. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Doesn't work.

23. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Yep the 09 MP is still a fast good computer, but it should be $1000 less! WTF! Or they should change it so that 4GB or 6GB be base memory, 1TB drive, and 2.93Ghz all be entry/base model components for the $2499 price. If you build one now with those specs it's up to $3149!

24. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

With the right amount of coaxing and duct tape, that missing microcode will take care of itself :rolleyes:

25. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Pretty certain the OSX86 community has developed the code to get it to work. Dunno if it carries over from Hacks to real MPs though.