Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epic Orange

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Element X
I MRoogled and couldn't find any definitive answer, last post being about two months ago I believe.

I do not live in the U.S., but I have not heard anything about a fix for AT&T tethering. However, the only thing they do is send you a text message telling you that you should switch to their tetering options for the iPhone. I know it sucks, but what can you do? For now, I am saying no. :)

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I MRoogled and couldn't find any definitive answer, last post being about two months ago I believe.

Yes, just don't tether.

What did you expect?

It's 2011... AT&T has computer systems and software which can easily detect nefarious activities.

Don't believe it... just try.... You'll be thrilled at the tariff ~

Epic Orange

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Element X
Yes, just don't tether.

What did you expect?

It's 2011... AT&T has computer systems and software which can easily detect nefarious activities.

Don't believe it... just try.... You'll be thrilled at the tariff ~

Its 2011, AT&T can detect nefarious activity, but Apple cannot detect nefarious activity individually, but can detect it on a global scale.... It is quite a shame, but then again, nefarious activity through phone numbers would be easier to track than with (a) single device(s)...

TheSlimOne

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Have you used tetherme? Been using it for months no problems so far...Anyone else have problems?

I did(TetherMe), got caught. Email, Text and Snail Mail. I played dumb on on the phone with them. The woman said she could keep it from changing to a tethering plan but, if it detected tethering any time after the date we talked that it would switch automatically. I never once went over 2gig total. The Tethering I did was very limited to say the least. Maybe 20 minutes total over couple of months. I rarely ever used it for anything else other than showing someone it worked.

The woman did mention on the phone that sometime in the last year I had used some sort of tethering. I don't know if that helps, or even means anything. Just adding all the info I can

rmul86

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Boston, MA
I did(TetherMe), got caught. Email, Text and Snail Mail. I played dumb on on the phone with them. The woman said she could keep it from changing to a tethering plan but, if it detected tethering any time after the date we talked that it would switch automatically. I never once went over 2gig total. The Tethering I did was very limited to say the least. Maybe 20 minutes total over couple of months. I rarely ever used it for anything else other than showing someone it worked.

The woman did mention on the phone that sometime in the last year I had used some sort of tethering. I don't know if that helps, or even means anything. Just adding all the info I can

Yeah that helps...and I will no longer be using tetherme...what about pdanet? Can they detect that?

rnystery

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011

sucks..
i heard ATT's contract says no jailbreaking..
iwas about to get ATT ipad 2 3g but they ran out so they gave me verizon phew.

i dont think verizon has something about jailbreak being not legal

rnystery

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
oh and i believe if u want to tether, u have to pay extra $20 for their plan cause they have a strong way to detect (basically auto detect) then ur in trouble and get ur warranty voided

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why the hasty hostility? You're searching the iPhone hacks forum, you can't be all that gainer modifying phones. Don't need to go into passive-attack mode. I was just wondering if anyone had any luck with TetherMe or MyWi without receiving AT&T warnings.

rnystery

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
and where did you here that????? :rolleyes:

i mean i didnt recieve a plan or contract when i bought my ipad 2 verizon 3g 16gig at the apple store - i just bought it and went

I already jailbroke anyways...
and since there was no contract

jailbreaking is allowed..

otherwise..
on their contract, is jb allowed or not allowed for phones?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
i mean i didnt recieve a plan or contract when i bought my ipad 2 verizon 3g 16gig at the apple store - i just bought it and went

I already jailbroke anyways...
and since there was no contract

jailbreaking is allowed..

otherwise..
on their contract, is jb allowed or not allowed for phones?

there is no said policy on jailbreaking at verizon or AT&T now if they catch you tethering then just like AT&T they can impose fee's. you talking about different things that confuse people. you might want to know that us courts have told Apple they can not make jailbreaking illegal however Apple can choose to void warranty's. this is all in the sticky's uptop and this is just confusing the original post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.