So has anyone tried using the iPad as a phone yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Axl Rose, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Axl Rose macrumors regular

If so, how was it, and what app are you using, skype?icall?

2. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Unforunately no, I am very curious how this works out.

I did however try using my iphone as an ipad and boy it does not work like you think it would.

3. Axl Rose thread starter macrumors regular

Just really looking for an app tat basically gives you a dedicated number from which id do light voip and moderate texting.

4. vicliner macrumors newbie

I can't get the camera to work. This ipad's going back.

5. SqB macrumors 6502

I was using iSip with my callcentric.com account to do this with my iPhone. I am probably going to do the same with my iPad when I can finally buy one. I'm moving somewhere that ATT doesn't exist and I want to go to a Tracphone so I'm going to do the Googlephone/Tracphone/Voip over iPad thing.

I don't think you can SMS from a voip account (not mine at least) but you can with a google voice account.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

7. Nash Bridges macrumors regular

Nash Bridges

Have you looked at TruPhone?

8. vw195 macrumors 6502

First as reported elsewhere in this forum, Bluetooth headset profile does not (unfortunately) work. This is almost enough for me to take it back, because it upsets me that Jobs attempts to dictate what I can/cannot do on this device.

I have tried to use my Google Voice/Gizmo5 SIP with both nimbuzz and fring, but unfortunately if you go to the GV site to dial a number, push notifications dont work with either program at this point. If I have the nuimbuzz program open and use GV from another web interface it works great as a speaker phone..

9. WishBone macrumors newbie

I've used Skype twice when I had a strong wifi signal and it worked very well for phone calls. The people I called both thought I was on my cell phone. More of a surprise was how well it worked without using any headphones! You need to hold it somewhere near your chest but nobody noticed the difference.

As a disclaimer, I have not tried this in a place with a noisy background so I'm not sure of how good it would be in that type of a situation. Can't wait for Skype to come out with an official iPad version.

10. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I've used the vonage app and call quality has been excellent. no complaints whatsoever. Best of all, its free :)

11. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'm not in a good position to find a source right now, but I could swear I remember hearing that BT audio devices would be usable in OS 4.0, maybe due to the Skype partnership (thing, whatever). Hopefully someone else knows what I'm talking about and I'm not crazy.

12. yankintx macrumors 6502

Do you think they will charge a restocking fee for returning it because the camera doesn't work?

13. vw195 macrumors 6502

That would be wonderful! Just add to the usefulness of the device.