So here is THE question,

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pink∆Floyd, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I found an interesting point by Dr. What? on a different tech blog:

"So here is my question (preceded by a lot of exposition so bear with me):

Apple has announced a new iPhone every year in june since the first one. They are announcing the new Verizon iPhone in January, and, as this article states, its probably just a CDMA version of already extant iPhone 4. Which means it will probably be released at the same time as or shortly after the press release. Which means that in less than 6 months, a new iPhone will come out that makes this one look lame, one that anyone who buys this one won't be eligible to upgrade to.

So here's my question:

Who are the idiots who are going to buy this phone then complain bitterly when the new one comes out this summer? And if everyone is smart enough to wait, what will happen if nearly no one buys the new Verizon iPhone at launch?

Or is that not going to happen and will the CDMA version of the iPhone always come out 6 months after the GSM version?"

2. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

This was discussed in another thread but I agree. The bitching and complaining will be off the charts.

3. accinfo macrumors member

Count me as one of those idiots. First of all if people buy this Verizon Iphone and they do come out with a new one Verizon will allow a subsidized upgrade in return for extending your contract. Just like AT&T did when every newer version of the Iphone came out. I have upgraded each version and sold my older one on Ebay for more then I paid for the newer subsidized version. That because the one I sold is unencumbered by a contract.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's brand new cellphones coming out almost every month.
    You dont see Android or Winmobile giving out early deals or care if people are locked into a contract and cry because they want the new and latest version phone out there.
    You can always sell your old and buy the new one full price or do an early upgrade or wait out your contract etc...
    I doubt neither Apple or Verizon are worring if people will complain bitterly and highly doubt that not many will buy the new Verizon iPhone at launch.
    There will be madness at launch day IMO.

5. robo74 macrumors 6502

I think the real question is:
    Who are the idiots who HAVE to buy a new device when Apple releases it?

I think you will find that most people will enjoy the phone they buy when its available, not everyone has to have a new phone just because it was upgraded. I still see many people on the 3g version.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

its still not the same as the advertised price, so most people will complain

especially considering the immense sense of entitlement everyone on "teh internets" has, they'll demand the 199 price mere months after getting it on the original CDMA iPhone. I hope verizon customer service is ready for it