So here's my dilemma...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Yankee125xt, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Yankee125xt macrumors newbie

My mother's PC is crap. It go bye bye.

She saw my MBA when I came home from college this summer and loved it immediately.
    Now she wants MY MBA! (13" 1.86 4GB 128GB 320M)
    So here is where I'm struggling.

I can't decide whether or not to buy the NEW MBA or buy another 2010 model.
    I hated gaming on Mac OSX so I installed Windows 7 and enjoyed playing SC2, WoW and Assassins' Creed quite well on high settings.

I know the new MBA will have a better processor and whatnot, but here is my dilemma.

For casual gaming, do you think the new MBA will be able to handle those games on a Windows 7 platform?
    I'm very much aware nobody knows what will come out on the new MBA but I'm pretty much sure everyone can agree that it'll run on a SB CPU with Intel 3000HD GPU.

Thanks!

2. reclusive46, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011

reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I'd stick with the older model or at least wait for the new one to be released and see the Benchmarks.

3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Welcome to the club, that's what im struggling with too.

4. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd suggest that you wait for the new one to be released and see what you think of it; if you find it worth getting, go for it. If, however, you find you still prefer the 2010 model, get that as a refurb instead (I expect that there will be a reasonable price reduction).

Cheers

6. Yankee125xt thread starter macrumors newbie

I skimmed through it but didn't actually have the patience to read every single complaint comment... All I want to know is wether or not the 3000 HD work better on Windows 7 or Mac OSX for gaming.

7. Flagg macrumors member

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. The general feel is that the HD 3000 can match the 320m on a few games, but lags behind for the most part even with the processor upgrade (consider also what the low-voltage will take away when compared to say 13" MBP).

Provided something miraculous doesn't happen like an option with a discrete card in it, I'm personally thinking about exploring getting a 2.13 MBA referb when the prices drop. I hate the thought of buying a C2D and max of 4 gigs and relying on it to be enough for the next few years, but I also don't want to buy an Envy, m11x, or Vaio Z and deal with bloatware, naggy Win 7 security features that bog down the system, etc.

8. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

You might be lucky and Apple might throw in a discrete ATI graphics chip somewhere in the new MBAs, like they did with the early 2011 MBPs.

Its really a longshot, but if they did it'd probably be only in the 13 inch ultimate version.

9. Flagg macrumors member

This was my thought. However, I believe that the MBP 13 is enough of a standard to justify not getting our hopes up :(