So how are the new 17MBP batteries holding up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Mar 10, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

If you're basically just surfing the web using the 9400 card, what's the average length of time that most people are getting with the new battery?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

~7-8 hours depending on what type of sites, brightness of screen, wifi/no wifi, sound/no sound

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Battery Life

6-7 hours for me. I can't seem to get more unless I turn down the screen brightness to the point where I can't see. It's still much better than my old MBP.

4. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

5. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I get 7-8 hours, at least. My battery is running better/longer with each passing cycle, it seems. I have done 3 calibrations. My first result from system info was 12300, then 12500 and now 12900 (a total of 5 charges).

Today I ran it on Microsoft Word 08 for almost nine hours (!). I had both bluetooth and Airport turned off. But screen brightness was 1-2 dots from full.

I have never ever experienced battery life like this before.

P

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Mines always plugged in.

Which brings me to another question, and sorry to hijack the thread but what if your computers plugged in all the time? Should I let the battery drain once in a while or is it OK just to leave it charged all the time?

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Set that thing FREE!

I don't know about the newer 17" MBP battery, but I do know that anything else would have serious issues with batt life down the road.

8. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I did this with my previous Dell Laptop. Always had the battery plugged in. Eventually after a year, the battery died. Use the battery till there is just about nothing left, plug it in and fully charge it, and then go off the battery again. Learn from my experience, don't have the battery plugged in all the time.

9. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    You should drain it regularly. I´ve noticed this with a wide range of todays batteries: they love being used. It´s the same with my Nikon batts, they get better the more I use them.

10. flanamac macrumors 6502

turning off all monitoriing devices makes a huge difference (i.e. bluetooth, airport, etc...)

I get around 4-5 hours usually, but that is using a main hub on my iMac via wireless all the time. I just sleep the computer whenever I can, so I get more than that in my opinion.

11. James Cole macrumors 6502

Guys guys guys...

I thought draining batteries was very bad??? Like for example in a car battery draining them can kill them I know for a fact that once you drain a car battery it will never have the same capacity...

OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG...

This is a laptop battery but the principles MIGHT be more or less the same... can someone explain to me why does draining the battery constantly makes it all better?

Thanks so much...

12. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Batteries found in laptops, cell phones etc. have memories. Having the battery plugged in all the time makes the battery think that is the only way for it to work, therefore it will drain it faster. Not good because if you drain out your battery so it can't work anymore, it will affect the speed of the processor. Bottom line: Don't leave Macbook battery plugged in all the time.

13. James Cole macrumors 6502

Lol... maybe it would be better if they didn't had memories or didn't think... I don't like my laptop battery to start thinking and deducing **** up... Lol... Got it now mate thanks for clarifying.

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes you are wrong.

you should drain your battery to to at least 60% empty once a week. (40% remaining)

Car and laptop batteries are completely different.
    Car batteries tend to be lead acid, and Laptop Batteries are Lithium Ion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_battery
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

15. frogger2020 macrumors regular

According to the wikipedia article on Lithium Ion Batteries you quoted:

"Li-ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect." and also
    "Furthermore, they may be irreversibly damaged if discharged below a certain voltage."

So I am confused why you are recommending that the batteries be discharged. Please enlighten me.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

the batteries themselves don't suffer from memory issues, but the batteries have a controller chip and that needs telling where the empty point is and the full point.

17. frogger2020 macrumors regular

So does that need to be done once? Also when you say drain it to 60%, is this the step that tells the controller chip where the empty point/full point is? Thanks.

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

the batts in your laptops and other electronics are never discharged completely. When you use your laptop, it gets down to 1% or so then goes to sleep and stays sleep. Using the batt power to hold all that info in memory and to give you that glowing light.

Now, the truth is, that even Li-Ions suffer from that memory, just no where NEAR as BAD as NiCads and Nimh. With those guys, using them halfway then recharging them for a weak gave you noticeable damage.

With Li-Ion you have to do that more often, and after a year of never charging them or calibrating them you will notice a missing amount of batt life.