So, how are we "supposed" to handle podcasts now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NMF, Mar 13, 2013.

1. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Here's what I want:

1. Podcasts subscriptions that download automatically on my iPhone.
    2. The ability to play podcasts from my desktop speakers at home.

Why is this so damn hard to accomplish? It used to work fine when iTunes was the master source of all podcasts. When I got home and docked my iPhone my iTunes library would be updated with my current position, and I simply resumed play on the Mac.

What am I supposed to do now that we have the Podcasts iOS app? I can't figure out how that thing syncs with iTunes. Sometimes it updates my list of podcasts, sometimes it doesn't. Some of my podcasts are listed in iTunes, some aren't. WTF? Why don't they just sync? I'm using Apple products here, right?

Is there a solution to this problem? I don't want to use Instacast. That doesn't help me play my podcasts when at home. I also don't want to drop the Podcasts app and return to full iTunes management -- I like how the Podcasts app automatically downloads the latest episodes.

What is the solution here? Apple continues to baffle me with its confusing and unintuitive desktop software.

2. AxiomaticRubric macrumors regular

AxiomaticRubric

Try setting up a server -> client relationship between the Mac and the iPhone. So all downloading will be done on the Mac, and new episodes will be copied from the desktop version of iTunes to the iPhone. You would need to disable automatic downloads in the Podcasts app for this to work.

You can also make sure the settings in the Podcasts app match the podcast settings in desktop iTunes. If they don't match exactly then all sorts of issues can arise including the problems you've mentioned.

I fully expect Apple to fix these podcasting problems in iOS 7 and/or the next iteration of OS X. It's worth remembering that a high-level Apple executive was fired for failing to make the Podcasts and Maps apps meet Apple's exacting standards. His mistakes should be rectified soon enough.

3. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

That's the set up I used to have. It worked at the time, but I much prefer how the Podcast app now auto-downloads new episodes regardless of my location. Sometimes episodes come out while I'm at school and I'm able to listen to them on my commute home.

Anyway, today the Podcasts iOS app was updated. Supposedly it added the functionality to sync across devices, including iTunes. Nope. Still doesn't work. Even after directly syncing via USB, my iTunes library still starts an episodes from the beginning when I'm halfway through it on my iPhone.

This is just pathetic.

4. Irishman macrumors 68030

Try Downcast. I use it as a replacement for Apple's Podcast app, which was dreadful. It pulls podcasts from anywhere they're available (not just iTunes), and syncs automagically (patent pending) no matter what network I'm on with my iPod Touch. At home, I can airplay over the AppleTV to my home theater receiver.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You are not forced to use the Podcast App, you can continue to do it the old way, which BTW is what I prefer. My home server downloads everything during the way, and when I get home, BAM sync.

Now for people how must download on the road, perhaps without a laptop OK.

6. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Wait, it syncs with your iTunes library on your computer? That is my issue here. I want to listen pick up where I left off when I'm in my home office. I have nice computer speakers.

Right, but as I said before, I very much like how the Podcasts app downloads when I'm out of the house. I spend half of my workdays at school. I download all my podcasts directly from Apple... they should sync no matter what device I use. It's ridiculous that I can't simply pick up where I left off on my computer.

7. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I think your best option is to connect your iPhone to your Mac and resume the podcast from the iPhone queue in iTunes. It should resume there from where you left off. It has for me in the past, but I am on 10.6.8 and quite frankly try to avoid interacting with iTunes as much as possible.

8. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by "iPhone queue?"

9. 7thson, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

When your iPhone, or iPod for that matter, is connected to iTunes you can select from its tracks, or podcasts in this case, to play rather than from iTunes itself. Enabling the sidebar browser will make this possible as I believe that is the only way to show a drop down menu of what features you have on the iPhone, i.e. music, podcasts, books,etc. Selecting podcasts in that drop down menu and playing an episode, it should resume from where you left off. Alternatively AirPlay could be another option if you own an Airport Express already. Your speakers could plug into that and the podcast could stream from your iPhone.
    I just did this on my decrepit iMac running Snow Leopard and iTunes 11 and it works. However the second option is more elegant and is where I think Apple is trying to steer us, to make wireless connections the standard. Actually, not just Apple, that's where the industry is headed and has been for some time.

10. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

I was about to e-hug you until I tried it myself. There are still weird bugs. Even after a manual sync via USB, my "iPhone queue" doesn't display all of the episodes of a certain podcast.

iTunes view:

[​IMG]

iPhone view:

[​IMG]

Why aren't they the same? Shouldn't iTunes be looking at the iPhone itself? Even after quitting iTunes, restarting iTunes, and manually re-syncing again, I still only see the two podcasts.

I just... ugh. This makes no sense. I shouldn't even have to do this crap. I shouldn't have to enable to damn sidebar again. My Podcasts should just sync. Using an airport express is hardly an "elegant" solution. I have no need for another wireless router. My Mac is connected directly via ethernet, and I spent $90 on a beautiful aluminum dock for my iPhone. The two devices are connected directly together. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops for something as simple as picking up a podcast where I left off.

This is just CRAZY.

11. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Are you still downloading podcasts in iTunes by any chance? I'm not sure why you are seeing a discrepancy but I am fairly certain it involves settings in iTunes or you iphone or both. I can't believe I came this close to an e-hug, too. :) Please for your own sake don't let your blood pressure spike over this. I hear your frustration, but a cool head will prevail here quicker than a hot one. I'll let you know if any solutions occur to me.

12. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

I have all the iTunes podcasts set to "subscribe" as well. If I don't do that then the iPhone would never sync all of my podcasts; some would be there, some wouldn't, and the episodes would never be the same on both. I had to set iTunes to "subscribe" and then manually go through and mark everything correctly as played/not played. After that I at least have the correct EPISODES on each device, they just don't sync my location.

This whole situation is just really silly. The settings should just sync.

13. CoachDriver macrumors newbie

I dropped iTunes for podcasts about 18 months ago. Had the same issue of wanting to play them on the speakers attached to my Mac Mini at times but manage the podcasts on the iphone where i do most of my listening.

So settled on Downcast on the iPhone / iPad.

And

Air Server on the Mac Mini.

Problem sorted.

14. ndalum macrumors member

I am hacving the same problem. The podcasts sync between ios devices but not on itunes. I can subscribe on itunes and they show up on the ipad and iphone but if i listen on the ipad it does not mark it as played on itunes. Apple is supposed to be SIMPLE!

I use downcast but I want to wTch podcast videos onmy computer sometimes.