So, how bad is the Wi-Fi on the MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ranchdip, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Ranchdip macrumors member

I've been reading a lot of complaints here about wi-fi connections and lower receptions on the MBP's.

Is that true for everyone here or is it just isolated cases?

2. synchr0 macrumors newbie

I think it really all depends on the strength of the WAP's you are connecting to, not so much the MBP

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

It's good, but MacBook is substantially better from reader reports.

For best performance use GigE cable

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

No complaints here. Gets better signal in remote parts of the house than my windows laptop. My router is the latest Airport Extreme with n-wireless.

5. chgojcs macrumors member

I read all these threads about WiFi problems and I have never had an issue.

Just remember, though, most people who have no issues aren't going to search for help on how not to fix something.

6. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Side by side, 2 of my friends' MBPs get about 1/3 less signal strength than my MB and the MB detects more of the networks in the area. These are REV A core duo MBPs though. Don't know if Apple has improved the situation for the current models.

7. Echinda macrumors regular

Is there a really good wifi antennae that can "plug" ... somehow ... into the MBP? I'm at the absolute extreme end of the range of our wifi router at work so I can barely get a signal. Unfortunately, our security policy forbids me from plugging a personal laptop into the LAN so whenever I want to transfer files I have to move floors so I can get reception or dig out a thumbdrive. Anything that could give me an extra bit of signal boost would be great.

8. higham macrumors newbie

mines excellent, i been connected to a few wirless points with distances ranging from really close and pretty far and i always get 4 bars and 3 bars when its far away

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Since I bought a Airport Extreme Base Station back in January, I have not had one problem with the WiFi. I can go anywhere in the house, upstairs, downstairs, outside, sitting in the car at the curb, and get my WiFi signal.

It's all gonna depend on how good your router is.

10. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

We have three MBP's in house and they are have fantastic reception.

11. Ranchdip thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clarifying this. I was getting a little concerned. My wife let me buy this MBP because she wants to surf the net from the kitchen. :D I gotta take care of momma first. :D
    However, it will be used as a mobile recording setup and a video editing machine when not used as a web/gaming computer.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Me too. I get way better wifi reception in my house with my MBP than my tablet PC.

13. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

not true
    MBP does have WIFI problems.
    this is when i'm comparing between a MBP and a macbook in the same classroom

I think it is because the MBP is aluminum, and the macbook is made from plastic, and plastic > aluminum in terms of wifi connection.

14. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I am glad to hear that many of the posters are having, at least, pretty good success with their wireless signal on the MBPs. The poster who stated that people who's equipment works usually don't come to these forums to talk about how well their system works is quite correct. But that doesn't stop me from seeing the occasional posting regarding signal issues and getting concerned. It's good to hear several responses from the other end of the spectrum.

15. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

16. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

My MBP lives in the kitchen because that's where we live. Never a problem with AirPort connecting to the AirPort Extreme upstairs or the one downstairs enabling AirTunes.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Another thing to point out:

Your WiFi signal will only be as good as your router. Before I got my Airport Extreme Base Station, I had a Linksys router. That thing was a piece of junk. When I would go to the next room, my MBP would lose the signal, same with my iPhone. I could occasionally get the signal in the room directly above the router upstairs. Outside, forget it. My Airport Extreme has been worth every penny.

18. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Mine is quite fine. I was in a tower in PHX, near a window and I got free wifi from across the street. And it is fine at home, perfect.

19. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

You're right that a good router can make a difference, but my experience has shown that side by side, the plastic MB gets better reception than the aluminium MBP. The fact that other MBP owners don't have problems getting a good signal, does not dismiss that the aluminum cases reduce reception.

Once again yesterday a friend's plastic PeeC was getting nearly twice the reception of the MBP next to it.

There must to be a way for Apple to increase the reception on the MBPs.

20. Mott macrumors newbie

The problem isn't the reception it's the Noise level. I'm running Istumbler on my MBP and G4 Ibook. The MBP has a noise level of about 17-18% on all networks found, but my Ibook has a reading of ZERO for noise. MBP does however get about double the signal strength over the IB. It does seem though that the reception comes and goes, one minute it's full bars then it's two or one.:confused:
    I'll have to keep an eye on it and recheck my Linksys 350n settings.
    Fyi I have the 350n set for G; only as a test though.

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

I've had mine since June and no complaints so far.

22. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Great WiFi here

My new MBP (Penryn) gets excellent reception. I had no idea until I got it that there are 10 different wireless networks within range of this house. My previous laptop only saw two of them.

23. phatcat macrumors regular

mine gets good range to an 802.11B linksys router. better than my HP laptop.

24. bamf macrumors 6502

Just got my new MBP today, and the range and speed seem to be fine on the wireless card in it. I'm using a DLink Gaming Router as my WAP...

25. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

So in os 10.5.2 where can I see my connection strength or bars? I've tried looking in network utilities and airport utility doesn't show anything, it says to rescan becuase it can't find any devices.