so.. how bout unlocking this baby?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvryDayImShufln, Jun 28, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey

I live in Canada so unfortunately I am completely rejected from the possibility of owning an iPhone, which is disappointing to say the least, considering I would have actually switched providers to get one.

Do you guys think there is any chance that somebody/something will figure out how to unlock the iPhone? I don't know what the protocol is on normal phones, but it seems to me that people work at it until they can unlock most phones, and since this one is extremely popular I could imagine that it would be unlockable fairly soon.

I hope so anyway because after watching the 20 minute demo video, this thing looked insanely amazing. Then again we could always wait till the next rev

2. walangij macrumors 6502

IMO there is a high possibility even a certainty that the iPhone will be unofficially unlocked sometime in the next few months b/c like you said the extremely high popularity. That is unless there is a system in place to disable the phone if it is unlocked that I have no idea, but most likely people will eventually make progress and unlock them.

3. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Companies who like to own the whole user experience can make it very hard to impossible to unlock their phones. An example is Danger with their hiptop/sidekick which as far as I know cannot be unlocked. I am quite sure Apple is technically able to do the same thing, and believe there's a good chance they will do this, probably forcing you to buy two devices if you need one for a Europe Vodafone plan and another one for a US AT&T plan, for example.

4. Beaner macrumors newbie