So how can I edit a previous web page

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by al gilliland, Sep 15, 2009.

1. al gilliland macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone

I created a web page last year using Iweb and posted it to my local provider address.. I would like to edit a few sections of the pages (ie add a few more photos, change phone numbers etc) but as I had reformatted my computer since posting the web page, I can't use Iweb.

I have been able to bring down the files via ftp and now I want to edit these files..Any cheap/free programs anyone can suggest that would let me do this on a mac. My web design knowledge level is fairly basic

Cheers
    Al

2. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

I would say Text Wrangler combined with Cyberduck would be worth considering in your case. You can set up Cyberduck to automatically download and open files on your remote server in Text Wrangler and it'll upload the changes when you save. That is a combo that I use from time to time, although mostly I work locally in Dreamweaver.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just a note, because of the way iWeb creates its HTML and CSS, you will likely have issues making edits except for small updates like fixing typos or writing paragraphs. If you foresee yourself needing to make larger updates like for the layout I would suggest starting from scratch with a new program. iWeb simply creates horrific code to maintain outside of iWeb.

4. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Agree with the other two posts.

For tinkering, TextWrangler is good, or Komodo Edit (which I use, for the PHP, SQL support also). Like already said, iWeb HTML is unreadable - not just iWeb of course, nearly every single Web Page creation tool in the world fills the page with crud HTML, only DreamWeaver has relatively clean HTML, maybe why it is so popular.

Otherwise, rebuild in iWeb, while viewing your current website in Firefox / Safari, either from the ISP or locally. It will be surprisingly quick. Done this before - for someone else after they made massive changes to their website and wished to back them out, fortunately the previous version was still up in a browser.