So how do I buy Lion without Snow Leopard...?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Abscissa, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Abscissa macrumors regular

I read the Apple site about Lion, says to use the Mac App Store, which is only available in 10.6 I have 10.5 and I'm not going to go buy a $30 disc, and instantly spend $30 again on Lion. Any ideas?

2. ryanbridgwood macrumors member

Find a torrented copy of Snow Leopard on a torrent site perhaps?

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Why not.

Did u not stop to think that Apple are offering Lion at $30 because you require Snow Leopard first.... Thus increasing the actual value of lion.

Secondly why should you get it 'cheaper' than those of us who DID pay for snow leopard and lion..?

And lastly $60 is still way less than Windows 7 and othe OSs....

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

you could do the same thing to get Lion and then burn it to a DVD. Thats what I did so I could do a clean install but I actually bought it first.

5. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I never felt like I wanted snow leopard, never saw anything I wanted to upgrade for.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You can wait until August and buy the USB stick when they release it.

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

SL has some amazing under the hood enhancements. Grand Central Dispatch is one of them. A lack of end user changes does not mean nothing was changed!

SL did a ton of work under the hood with 64 bit also. It is definitely worth it. Lion just seems substantial because it is a lot of front end changes. It probably also seem substantial because they took a risk with a lot of what they did!

8. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

You could login at a friends with your Account, purchase it and download or use his copy to make a USB Install Drive of Lion.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Windows Ultimate is $400NZD. You'd be spending $60. I'd spend $60 to get Lion if I were you!

10. davedude macrumors member

For the common end user, Snow Leopard meant almost zero changes over Leopard. The performance was just "a little bit" better. I can understand why the OP decided not to go with Snow Leopard.

11. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

May have to do this, friend has a macbook with snow leopard. Just download it, and drag and drop on my USB storage instead of installing it to his?

I'll spend $30.

Thanks, like you said for the common user. I use my macbook for internet, documents, music, photoshop and...that's about it.