So... how do I get my own website??

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by joefinan, Feb 6, 2008.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I've got iWeb, I've got an idea for a site - but that's as far as I've got!

I'd be greatful if someone could explain how I register the name I want (it's available) and what I need to look for in a host. And is that all I need?

As I'm in the UK, any suggestions for UK-based hosting places would be appreciated. Who do you use?

I'd like my site to have a lot of photos (which perhaps users could upload) and a forum - amongst other things...

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Well... you can either get a web host yourself or skip it all and get dot mac, which eliminates a lot. The .Mac service is actually a lot more affordable than it appears when you divide that yearly fee into 12 months.

I used to own and manage a web hosting company and sold it several years back. I only host local private folks now. But to get started, you will want to secure that web domain (godaddy.com is a good start). I use enom only because I get domains wholesale there.

Then you'll have to find a webhost. I suggest the website WebHostingTalk.Com. It's just like this site but filled with web hosts and clients all looking for the same thing. Just post your needs and someone will show you in the right direction. :D

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most domain registrating companies also offer hosting. GoDaddy.com is one popular site for both. I actually have a domain registered at GoDaddy, but my site is hosted by 1&1 Internet. I doesn't really matter where the company is located, as it is all online.

TEG

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Do a Google search for web hosting, a ton of UK sites should pop up.

5. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks.

godaddy.com is US based. If I were to find some random place based in the UK to register the name I want, will I then be able to take that name to any host (like .mac) or will they have a hold over that name meaning I have to have them host my website too?

6. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am aware of Google but I'm trying to get first-hand recommendations.

Thanks for your suggestion.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In most cases, the hoster just gives you an IP address to direct your registrar to (which will send out a DNS entry), or you configure your host for your domain, they verify, they create the DNS entry.

I have to ask... Why does is matter where the registrar is based? They can all do any domain extension and they all take credit cards.

TEG

8. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I like to support British industry wherever possible.