So how do I introduce my Android phone to my YDP3 MBP?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by ctakah, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ctakah macrumors member

So the guy with the difficult to remember last name said that with Y even Android users will be able to make calls and receive/send SMS through their boxes.. HOW?
    I have an android phone, and my macbook doesn't even know about it :)
    What exactly do I do to "pair?" them?

2. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Step 1: Return your Android
    Step 2: Buy an iPhone
    Step 3: Install iOS 8 beta on it

Continuity doesn't support anything but iPhones. The guy with the difficult to remember last name lied.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

It wasn’t anybody from Apple at the Keynote. It was never implied nor stated that Continuity or handoff would be supported by Android. It’s not going to work on anything but Apple hardware.

Apple doesn’t have a very good record with Android support on anything they make or sell. About the only area that they support Android with is their Beats music app. Nothing else Apple makes or sells is advertised with Android compatibility AFAIK.

4. ACDIT macrumors member

ACDIT

I feel bad for laughing :b

5. DoctorFedora macrumors regular

What Craig Federighi talked about was the fact that if you pair an iPhone with a Mac running Yosemite, you can send and receive messages to/from other people's Android phones from your computer.

6. ctakah thread starter macrumors member

ooo thank you.
    that's kinda brand racism though, no?

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

em... no.

8. towg macrumors regular

On a more helpful note, I'd recommend Android File Transfer:

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

9. simsaladimbamba

Why is that? Because Android is the competitor, even though it is just a platform from Google running on countless devices?

Imagine the nightmare to have to support hundreds of models from competitors just so you don't call them racist?

10. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

That app is completely worthless as connecting via a USB should mount the SD card.

11. Centsy macrumors regular

You can do a lot of the new Yosemite features though AirDroid. Don't even need an OS upgrade.

http://www.airdroid.com

12. haravikk macrumors 65816

For file sharing you might give Bittorrent Sync a try; it works a bit like Dropbox but between individual devices rather than a server.

Basically you set it up on your Mac by creating a folder and adding it to Bittorrent Sync, you can then get a key (either read/write or read-only) for your Android phone to use, you can use a QR code for this for simplicity. Your Mac will then sync files your Android phone (and vice-versa if you use a read/write share).

I use it as a secure means of getting files onto my phone without having to go via any servers.

13. towg macrumors regular

Nope. If you are on a mac you need it to access the Android file structure. On Windows it will mount without it.

14. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Most older android phones this is the case but not the newer ones that don't have an external sdcard. But yeah, the app kind of sucks. It's slow and buggy. Better off using adb or dropbox.

15. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i use android file transfer with my nexus7 all the time with no problems. and there are apps in the google store to sync contacts, notes, calendar.

of course, these things work in mavericks, not sure about yosemite.

having said all that, i really like my N7, but...prefer iOS, at the end of the day...:D

16. PsykX macrumors 6502a

Makes these new Yosemite features much less impressive... I thought we were the first to get this !

17. afsnyder macrumors 65816

No. Samsung doesn't make S Voice for Apple and Apple doesn't make Siri for Samsung, same deal. Also there's no race involved here.

18. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

I just use FTP

19. 3282868 macrumors 603

This does raise an interesting question from me. It's been years, but before the iPhone, many phone's could sync with iTunes and Mac's using third party app's. I recall Blackberry provided users with such functionality for OS X.

Is there anyway non-Apple devices can sync media via iTunes? (assuming it's DRM free content, of course iOS app's won't)