So.... how do I redeem a digital copy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fernandez21, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ok, so today I got the cars 2 blu-ray, and it includes a digital copy dvd, it says I have to insert it into my computer to redeem it, but I only have a macbook air, so no dvd drive. any other way to get it?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

CAn you use wireless drive sharing with someone?

3. Fernandez21, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

yeah, I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I see my parents next week, their pc has a dvd drive. Was hoping there was some way to do it at home. And I don't want to spend $80 on something I will rarely use, I've had my macbook air since they were released in the summer and this is the first time I've needed a DVD drive.

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i bought the superdrive when i bought the air.

just "in case". i was already spending so much money on the computer and essential peripherals and software that a drive didn't add too much to that price.

have used it only once in 6 months.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

buy an Asus or equivalent external drive for like $30

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Not sure if Target mode on another Mac with DVD would work (it will for the HDD) but you need a Firewire cable.

Food for thought...
    If you do get an external DVD drive instead of the DRM protected digital copy you might want to consider simply Handbrake + VLC to AppleTV2 from your DVD original. This will allow you to play back on pretty much any Apple device (and AirPlay too!)

7. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Use your PC to rip the DVD to mp4 then transfer it over to your Mac via your network or something?

I'm so happy not to have any optical drives in my home any longer. I don't feel bad about buying a dvd or something like that then downloading it from the net because I've purchased it. That's your other option...

9. sgand macrumors newbie

I always redeem digital copies on my desktop, then wirelessly copy them over to my Air in iTunes.