So how do you activate a new iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Oct 10, 2011.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I've always upgraded in-store, but I opted to have the 4S shipped to me.
    Do I swap the SIM card from my old phone and then plug it in, or what?

I'll be selling my 4 the same day as I get my 4S.

Thanks all!

2. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

You activate your iPhone through itunes, and yes, swap the SIM cards from your 4 and 4S (I think you want to do this before you activate your 4S but don't quote me on that).

3. Surrylic macrumors regular

So what if your old phone isn't an iPhone, and has a regular SIM card? (as in, not a micro-SIM)

4. Todthebod macrumors member

You have to go to the store.

5. fryday444 macrumors member

I have Verizon...can you activate the iPhone without a computer?

6. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I'm coming from a droid... do I do the same process when it gets here? Just plug in and continue through iTunes? I have Verizon.

7. Surrylic macrumors regular

oh LAME... but thank you :) simple enough, but man I couldn't find that simple answer anywhere..

8. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

Just activated mine, turn on, go through the iPhone setup, and it activates, i was surprised, but it just worked. I believe you need at least wifi,

9. ripper998 macrumors regular

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

your new 4S will come with a new sim. you can activate using the phone, or plugging into itunes. your old sim will become useless. once you activate, your new sim preinstalled with the 4S will only work

they do, i am not too sure why no one else cared to mention this over the last 4 days.

11. Surrylic macrumors regular

It did, a micro-SIM, but the phone currently has no signal so we're just guessing that we needed to put the old SIM card in for activation...? My fiancee is on the phone with AT&T now to get it sorted.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you will activate the phone with the new sim. once activated, your old sim will no longer be needed. good luck

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I've never replaced a sim during an iPhone upgrade.

Once you plug the phone in to iTunes it should just start working. That's been my experience anyway. 4s should be here today, hoping this activation process hasn't changed. I'd like to get it in my pocket and get to work on time tonight.

14. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I'm with AT&T and though I haven't received my iphone yet, the email said you can activate it either by calling or using a website online. I think it was att.com/activation

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Ignore these responses, just plain wrong. You don't have to swap sim cards.

I've had all previous 4 iPhones and I've never had to swap the sim. When you activate it through iTunes, the preinstalled sim in your new phone will be activated.

16. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

How do the activation servers know that the phone should be tied to my specific account without a SIM card though?

17. bmms8 macrumors 68020

sir, that comes preloaded onto the phone. i have posted on how the process works. i advise you follow the steps. if not then id hate for you to be on hold and what not with ATT over something thats easily done. good luck.

18. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

I completely believe you, I'm just curious how it actually works.
    How can this phone, fresh out of the box, know that it should be associated with my phone number?

19. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

The phone has a serial number and IMEI number printed on the outside. This was scanned with a barcode and associated with your order before it was shipped.

Trust me, it works.

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

not true at all.

21. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Because when you set it up it will connect with at&t and activate your new sim card

22. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation!
    I knew it worked, I was just curious as to how.

23. Surrylic macrumors regular

Ooooooook, so just heard from my fiancee. Apparently her 4S just randomly started working after having no signal for a couple hours. So no call to AT&T (those that said this was incorrect were definitely right), no plugging it into a computer... I guess they're supposed to just work right out of the box, and hers just took it's good ol' time :p

Thanks

24. b17777 macrumors member

Did she try and activate thru iTunes or just the phone ?
    Cellular net work or home wireless ?
    I've been trying with iTunes for over an hour and no joy.

25. Ericbway macrumors newbie

I am with Sprint; I went thru te activation process as Sprint told me too and it was activated with an incorrect phone number attached. I bought it thru Apple.com and somehow they messed it up. Sprint could not assist me, and phone said to call Apple. Call tem I did and they had no idea what went wrong and said to call Sprint and then actually tried to call Sprint and connect me. Then the reps computer went crazy and she said she had to reboot and lost contact with her senior rep. Waiting for a call back now. My first IPhone experience is becoming a nightmare.