So how do you like the Magic Trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kioshi, Jun 23, 2011.

1. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

I never had a notebook, and never used a trackpad for too long. But my iMac 27 arrives in 7-10 days and I bought it in a store that only sells the original Apple machines (so I didn't have a choice but they had a promotion), I already know I don't like the magic mouse because it doesn't fit my hand like my Microsoft one. Also I heard it eats batteries fast so I"m thinking about selling it as soon as my iMac arrives.

What I'd like is the opinion of people who weren't used to trackpads, if it's worth it, how much do you like it... Because I know Lion will make heavy use of gestures. Also, here it costs about USD 150 and I never found one to sample on the Apple Stores, although they have it online to sell.

So you guys who are used to mouses, did you like the Magic Trackpad?

Thanks in advance.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I returned the Magic Trackpad after a week. It bothered my wrist as I hovered above it in extension between gestures/clicks.

I prefer the Magic Mouse with BetterTouchTool. Mine doesn't "eat batteries", I only change them around 3 times per year. I can live with that battery life.....and I'm a heavy user.

That being said, others hate the MM and love the MTP. It's all personal preference.

3. kioshi thread starter macrumors member

kioshi

Thanks for the answer Surely.

I hear all the time that the MM is very limited on gestures. With this application does it allow three-finger gestures and all the more complex stuff?

(sorry I'm a noob on gestures, always used those multi-button advanced Microsoft or Logitech mouses)

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes it does. Actually, the site says it allows up to eleven finger gestures! :p If you take a look at the link I provided, it should show you a bunch of the gestures that are available. Plus, you can customize and make up your own gestures.

For example, when I swipe the Apple logo on my MM, it activates Expose, which clears all of my open windows so I can see my desktop.

Also, I'm sure if you searched the forums, you will find a bunch of threads about BTT.

:)

5. kioshi thread starter macrumors member

kioshi

Thanks I'll take a look. Didn't the MM cramp your hands? I read it a lot, but I have small hands anyway, like a girl lol. But I always used ergonomic mouses, can't say I hate trackpads but I never liked the few times I had to use one on friends' notebooks, no matter if it was a netbook or a 17 inch macbook pro.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I find it to be very comfortable. I expected it to cramp my hand, but it doesn't.

I grip it with my thumb and ring finger, and hover my index and middle finger over it.

Even though I have a MBP, I couldn't get used to having a trackpad off to the side of my keyboard. Plus, I like being able to move my mouse around when I track.

7. yongren macrumors regular

Second. I've been using BetterTouchTool for almost a year and I love it. A really great little program.

8. Einz macrumors regular

Einz

I have both and prefer the trackpad over the MM. I find the trackpad more comfortable in my case. It took me about 2 weeks to get comfortable with it. The gestures are much easier on the larger trackpad surface.

9. kioshi thread starter macrumors member

kioshi

Hmm I guess it will all depend on the size of the MM. I have small hands and I hold my mouse like Surely said he holds his MM (although I can rest my hand on mine since it's a very ergonomic MS mouse).

If I find the MM too small I'll sell it and see how important the gestures really are in Lion. Maybe mess with my friend's MBP since he has a 17'' one and I suppose the MT is just a bigger version of the MBP trackpad right?

(Sorry for all the questions I'm so excited that I FINALLY will get a new mac after 5 years with a mac mini core duo 1.66 - macs are so damn expensive here in Brazil I preferred to wait instead of getting a PC, I liked Windows 7 - liked it very much actually - but I can't live without OS X :D )

10. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

+1 for the Magic Mouse with better touch tool. Two fingers down for expose is like second nature, and find myself doing it on other computers (to no avail obviously)

Also have the magic trackpad, I used it for about 4 weeks (between selling my imac and getting a MM for my new setup) Now I just use it in bed when pausing a film or something. Should sell it, but it was a present from the missus.

11. NachoNoir macrumors newbie

Magic Trackpad

I couldn't decide either, so when I got My iMac last summer I decided to let "nature" make the decision. I purchased both the MT and the MM and let them sit in my desktop, to see which one did I use most often.

The result is I've been using the MT a LOT more than the MM. The MM (or any other mouse for that matter) is better for high precision tasks and most definetly for gaming; but the MT is way more comfortable for web browsing and general use. And the 3 and 4 finger gestures are really useful. IMHO, having both is the perfect solution.

However, YMMV. Every person likes to interact with their computers their own way, so you may end up using a mouse a lot more and not liking the MT at all... anyway, I have to say that I NEVER user a trackpad in any of my laptops until I got a Macbook, for which I purchased a Mighty Mouse back in the day that never really used. The trackpad is a lot better implemented in macs than in PCs in my opinion, and for me the Magic Trackpad is a must-have accessory.