So how do you sync your apps with a new computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itsjustmeee, Jun 26, 2012.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I have a new macbook air and I'm trying to figure out just how I sync my apps on my iPhone and iPad. My older laptop had the Sync Apps on in iTunes. The new one has the default setting off and I'm a bit concerned about the "all existing apps and their data will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library". I've been basically updating and installing my apps right on the devices and I have everything set up the way I like it. Will syncing the apps mess all of that up?

2. YomanDenver macrumors newbie

Once you have iTunes all setup, go to the App Store. You'll see a "Purchased" link to the right where you can download all the apps not on that computer. There are other options, but if you're looking for a "set it and forget it" way of doing it, this would be the best.

3. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've transfered purchases so all of my apps are on my macbook. I'm just concerned that if I sync, it will delete any settings on the apps .... unless when turn on the sync and do it for the 1st time, iTunes knows an app is already on my device and won't over-write it and keep game scores, settings and downloads in podcast apps ... that sort of thing.

4. Madmic23, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Probably the best way is to copy your iTunes back up from your original computer to your new computer.

Here's a step by step guide on how to do that:
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/29/sync-iphone-new-computer-without-losing-data/

"Syncing an iPhone with a New Mac by Copying Sync Data
    Quit iTunes on both Macs and disconnect the iPhone from both Macs
    Open the Home folder and copy the iTunes directory from the old computer to the new one, located at:
    ~/Music/iTunes

Now open the user library directory and copy the backups from the old computer to the new one, located at:
    ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/

To be certain everything is in order, copy over iTunes Preferences files as well:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist

Now connect the iPhone to the new Mac, launch iTunes, confirm that everything is in order, and authorize the new computer"

Disclaimer: I've never actually tried it that way, but it should work.

Also, I think if you plug your iPhone into the new computer you are given the option to back it up to the new computer. Again, I haven't tried that one but it's worth a shot.

5. YomanDenver macrumors newbie

That doesn't matter, as long as they were all purchased with the same Apple ID. However, if you're concerned about losing saved game data, then follow Madmic23's steps.