Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I don't have an iphone - waiting for version 2. How does video voice mail work? I know that each message is captured on the iphone itself in the form of an MP3 or AAC or similar file. I assume this means you don't have to dial in to get messages, and theoretically you don't need a cellular signal at the time you listen?

When are the messages recorded to the iphone? If you are out of range or have the phone off, do messages automatically download once there is a cell signal? Since these messages are audio files, are they downloaded via EDGE or WiFi ? If so, could you retrieve messages (or even know you HAVE any messages) if you do not have EDGE or WiFi at the moment?

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I know it works great and I love it. But, I've never been able to listen to messages when outside of the signal area.

Matt

Biker21098

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2002
CA
someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My experience has been that I need cell reception to know I have a voicemail. But once the phone knows it needs a voicemail I have successfully downloaded it via wifi with no cell or Edge service.

Up in the Sierras while driving i get just enough reception to get a text message or to have the phone see I have voicemail, but there is no time or reception to download any of the messages. When I get back to my cabin and have a wifi signal it downloads them and I can then listen to my voicemail. Its pretty slick really, cause it used to be while I was up there, I couldn't get my voicemail.

Just my experience.

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
My experience has been that I need cell reception to know I have a voicemail. But once the phone knows it needs a voicemail I have successfully downloaded it via wifi with no cell or Edge service.
Cool, now I have to go any try this... hmm, where do I have a Wifi signal but no mobile reception....

dakotaiphone

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Its easy, find any place in rural appalachia and there is no more cell signal. :p (I am not bashing, I live in that area and know what its like.... unfortunately)

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Its easy, find any place in rural appalachia and there is no more cell signal. :p (I am not bashing, I live in that area and know what its like.... unfortunately)
Is that a left at Albuquerque? I live and work in London so it's hard to find a place without a signal but with Wifi...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.