Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I'm really thinking about picking one of these up this week but the one thing that's putting me off is the Engadget review and how they said it scratched/chipped super easy.

But I was just thinking before, surely the top case (the side with the light up Apple logo) is exactly the same as the previous gen, same with the sides next to the IO? The only difference I can see is the bottom and the glossy palmrests. If thats the case it shouldn't be any worse to mark than the previous Macbook and I thought that was quite durable aside form the plamrest cracking.

So yeah, can someone give me a bit of advice to how easy they are to mark? I have read from many places that the Engadget review was rubbish.

Thanks!

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
I'm really thinking about picking one of these up this week but the one thing that's putting me off is the Engadget review and how they said it scratched/chipped super easy.

But I was just thinking before, surely the top case (the side with the light up Apple logo) is exactly the same as the previous gen, same with the sides next to the IO? The only difference I can see is the bottom and the glossy palmrests. If thats the case it shouldn't be any worse to mark than the previous Macbook and I thought that was quite durable aside form the plamrest cracking.

So yeah, can someone give me a bit of advice to how easy they are to mark? I have read from many places that the Engadget review was rubbish.

Thanks!

Okay as a owner of the New UNI MB.
I'd have to agree with some of Engadget's review of this laptop.

Alright, So the scratches on the palm rest (since it's glossy like the outer shell) I wouldn't say it's scratch resistant, nor is it scratch friendly. If you're a good owner, you shouldn't have a problem.
The Outer Shell. It's okay, it's normal for it to have scratches, but just take good care of it, or put Invisible Shield, or BodyGuardz. also the Apple Logo Light is WAY BRIGHTER now. which is a great plus :D
As for the Bottom part, where they said it gets so dirty.
i've had mine for a week at least now. It's like brand spanking new still.
I think their desk's are just really dirty. *cons about this new bottom, it doesn't really stick to the table very well, not like the old gen macbook*

PROS
Fast Processor Big HDD Nvidia9400m and LED Screen, GREAT BATTERY LIFE, iSight Improved, and I noticed Mic improved from previous gens.

by comparing this to the old Gen Macbook, Serious Improvements
I noticed that the superdrive was a little quieter during the boot up.
other than that it's great.

If you're not going to do major editing, and will be needing the firewire 800. Then I suggest you going with this

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Strange, on my macbook, the top part of the lid scratches like crazy, even though I have it in 2 soft cases. The plastic part near the keyboard and ports hasn't scratched on me yet.

The case as a whole doesn't feel very sturdy, it doesn't feel like it will survive a bump or hit in a backpack.

bsblvnv

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Las Vegas
Strange, on my macbook, the top part of the lid scratches like crazy, even though I have it in 2 soft cases. The plastic part near the keyboard and ports hasn't scratched on me yet.

The case as a whole doesn't feel very sturdy, it doesn't feel like it will survive a bump or hit in a backpack.

I think you must have got a dud, everyone I have seen says theirs is very solid and by far the best plastic macbook ever made. Mine has a couple of swirl marks on the top. But thats it, I do take care of my stuff a little better than most IMO but it's not that hard to keep this baby looking good.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
So is the top of the lid any harder to scratch than the previous gen? It looks exactly the same to me but I could be wrong.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
So is the top of the lid any harder to scratch than the previous gen? It looks exactly the same to me but I could be wrong.

I'd actually say its a tad easier to scratch than the older model, but tbh it isn't really noticeable.

I bought one in November but sent it back because I couldn't get on with the screen, I have since bought an old style white macbook (for £400 new!) and am very happy, although it was a shame to get rid of the newer version.

From my experience of both units, I wrote a detailed review with pics that you may want to check out before you purchase:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/827568/

:)

Badvostro

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
As long as you're careful with it you should be fine for the most part. I'm pretty careful with mine. So far, one scratch on the left side of the palmrest (dunno how that happened, I don't wear a watch :confused: ). I haven't inspected the top of the case but there's nothing major that stands out. I definitely recommend getting a keyboard skin though, I use a KB Cover and it's pretty good. The case feels really sturdy and the laptop just feels like it's very solid. The bottom isn't as easy to get dirty as Engadget says, just be careful where you set it if you're not using a case. Mine has four barely worn dots where most of the weight sits on the desk, but no major flaws as of yet. It's a pretty quick laptop and the screen is amazingly good, if it meets your needs then I would recommend a purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.