So how exactly does Facetime work with AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

So from my understanding you'll be in a phone call then you hit the facetime button and facetime will start. So will it use your minutes with att or will it end the phone call before starting facetime?

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I'm not sure but I know it's been posted.. I personally don't care, because until they go to other devices, if minutes are used they'll be part of the mobile to mobile minutes.

3. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

When you place a call to another party that has the iPhone4 (and iPhone4 Only) it will connect your voice call as normal... you will then press the facetime button and that send a request to your party on the other end that you are requesting a facetime video conversation. They will then accept the invitation and you will be connected.

You face and what the other party see will be in the small box that can be moved to any corner of the screen and the main entire screen will be the person you are talking to as long as they are facing there front camera at themselves.

It only works on WiFi so of course uses no 3g data at all and is charged to you just as it normally does taking away from your anytime minutes. The actual video conference itself is done through your wifi connection entirely and no data for facetime is transmitted through your wireless service.

Soo all in all your video portion is done through wifi and the voice is done through your 3g phone service as normal.

4. klitorisaurus macrumors member

Knowing AT&T, it'll skip their network all together, while placing your call on hold and still charging you minutes.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is AT&T were talking about. If you own a Micro cell tower (which is connected to your home internet router), AT&T still charges you for the minutes used. So I wouldn't bought it if they actually charged you for using FaceTime minutes.

6. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm, well i know that apple was aiming for the whole seamless integration but i think it would have been better for them to make an ichat app and have it done through there only with wifi. maybe they'll do it that way when they introduce it on the ipad and ipod touch (if they ever do)

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just came across another thread on this board, and AggieWSO brought up a good point.

their are no minute charges for Mobile-to-Mobile calling.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=932652

8. Lenxal macrumors regular

and you don't have to place a call. You can send them a facetime just from your contacts like your sending them a text.