So how has Skype+Google Voice worked out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kinkster, Feb 6, 2011.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I live in an area with great ATT 3G coverage and am looking to save some money by using Skype. I'm not sure if I need Google Voice at all though. Couldn't I just use a permanent Skype number?

I'm just concerned weather Skype will work well on the times that I'm in EDGE, and weather I'll have to pay more than $15 a month for data if I'm talking say 500 minutes on Skype (not wifi at all)?

2. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Vizin macrumors 6502a

I just tested skype with 3G disabled, forcing it to use Edge. I made a call to the Skype test call and it worked fairly well. There were a couple audio glitches, but they were very brief and I could still understand what was being said. The app popped up a message saying the network speed was poor, but the audio quality was still better than a phone connetion. (obviously this won't be the case if you're having people call your skype account from a phone)

Keep in mind that getting a Skype phone number has a monthly charge, and I think you pay for minutes also. Skype also doesn't have SMS. Google voice does, but Google Voice doesn't have MMS. (Even worse, if someone MMS's a Google Voice account, the message is just ignored, with the recipient never knowing a message was sent, and the sender never knowing it wasn't received.)

I don't know enough about Skype or Google Voice to answer the rest of your questions, sorry. I hope you find the information you need. Good luck! :)

P.S. According to the speedtest.net app, my Edge bandwidth is .17Mbps down and 0.08Mpbs up. You should check if yours is similar.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Skype over 3G to me isn't good as well as skype over google.

However the new google voice app that calls you back is the best cause it uses cell towers not Internet connection.

This means is monetarily best if you have a 1400 minute plan which gives you ability to use a list. I believe there is an a list for individual plans.

With this means you get unltd inbound and outbound calling on a better network to make and receive calls; cell towers versus 3G or wifi.