Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
1st Gen, and 2nd Gen Macbook 12 in owners what are your thoughts after months and now years of ownership?

Is it enough power? Thoughts on the keyboard? Any annoyances? Would you recommend still or seeing how new MBPs have cut weight and mass similar to MacBook Air that should be the way to go (despite high prices).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
keyboard has been nice and a pain, but mostly nice and i feel justified for its size, there was a short period of time keys felt stuck or not as responsive, but it has since passed.. knock on wood.

i like the precision of butterfly mechanism, i do wish they had more travel though slightly no an insane amount,

the speakers are great, same with screen. the battery life is OK, but I suspect Pro's get much better battery (they should they're way chunkier and heavier)

The trackpad has been a joy, I forget its force touch and haptic feedback clicks, and isnt actually moving

I like space grey, but after 1.5 years or so with it, I think silver is the tried and true. but it looks really nice, its just i think i long for retro apple now after continuously seeing the new apple

i miss the apple glow, but again feels justified to me for small form. even if pro's had to cut it cause the lid is small, its still a sad day, same with MagSafe. They should have offered flexibility, if it would have fit in that body. USBc or magsafe

Ive had this thing on three OS'es now, Yosemite El Cap and macOS sierra, runs well for its relative age in fast moving tech / apple obsolescence world,

its sad to say it, but it was nice of apple to make 8/256 the base on 2015 rMB when the 13" pro that year was 8/128 haha,

and still seems you need to go out of your way and $200 to get 16gb on the 13", the other portable machine. sad.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
The MB goes everywhere with me which is not something I could say about my previous MBP 15".

For me its been a great purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: HellasLEAF

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My rMBP 15" and my rMBP 13" now stay at home while my beautiful little rMB (m7 2016) is the one which travels with me. I love this thing -- just a gorgeous little machine which is great for traveling and for use all around the house and around town. My other machines are the heavy lifters when certain things need to be done but I am really surprised and pleased with how well my rMB handles what I throw at her........

If I could have only ONE machine I would go for the rMBP. As a supplement to a more powerful machine, when considering something that is ideal to easily carry around and which still has full OS usability so that many basic everyday tasks can easily be handled, the rMB fills the bill.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
my 12" (pretty new) also goes everywhere with me, much more than my 13" pro did. i generally charge it at night, and don't even take the charger with me during the day. am really happy with it; the only weird thing now is when i go back & forth with my 13" pro; my fingers get confused switching keyboards. but i actually prefer the MB's....

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Sometimes I wish I had a bit more power (m3/2016), otherwise the only negative is the keyboard. I love the screen, speakers, footprint and the lack of a fan. I had three versions of Macbook Air 11" before and I'm using a retina iMac as primary work horse.

I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't need a lot of power, and the vast majority don't need more power than this machine provides.

onVacation

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2016
Sometimes I wish I had a bit more power (m3/2016), otherwise the only negative is the keyboard.

When specifically? Is it general system stutter that occurs or do you have special high demanding tasks the m3 can't really handle? Do you think using the m5 would solve your problems?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I have the 2016 core m5 model and I love it. My space bar was squishy for a few days; could have been something caught in the butterfly mechanism. It has since resolved itself.

Overall, I love this machine. It's lighter and more portable than my 12.9 iPad Pro, so this usually goes with me on business trips for Netflixing, browsing, and surfing the web while I'm chilling in my hotel at night. More than enough power to do what I need, which is Office suite, web surfing, editing photos recreationally, and watching streaming video.

SumNextGai

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Ontario, CA
I use my rMB 2016 for school work, typical web use, some amateur photography, and Teamviewer to check up on my home server. The Core m3 is more than enough to handle all these tasks at once. I bought my rMB for productivity and it works just fine so far for the past month since I had it, no problems with the keyboard so far, although it was strange to use it at first but after a few days, it works just fine.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
When specifically? Is it general system stutter that occurs or do you have special high demanding tasks the m3 can't really handle? Do you think using the m5 would solve your problems?

It slows down sometimes while virtualizing Windows in Parallels, which is processor intensive task, so it's to be expected. I doubt the m5 would do much better.

Actually, unless you really need the ultra portability and the 512GB storage in the m5, I think the new Pro without touchbar would be a better buy than the m5. The new Pro is most likely better in all ways and even a bit cheaper than the m5.

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
I just pulled the trigger on a 12" rMB/M7 in Space Gray. I'm keeping my current 2013 MBA 13".

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Mixed bag. I think it's great as a secondary, tertiary, or specialized system, but wouldn't use it as primary.

The butterfly keyboard... I use mechanical keyboards with my iMac at home and massively prefer them, but the butterfly keyboard - despite being almost the complete opposite of what most mechanical keyboards stand for - gets the job done. I can type quickly on it.

Someone above said that the battery life, screen, and speakers are amazing. I completely agree. I still occasionally peer up close at the screen, just admiring how crisp everything looks. This is probably the only laptop I've ever used where I don't feel compelled to charge it every single time I bring it home. The battery life is really impressive.

The size and form factor still amaze me. It's so light, I carry it alongside an iPad sometimes and barely notice that I'm carrying something extra. It's so easy to take onto your lap and then set down somewhere else. It makes my 2011 MacBook Pro feel incredibly heavy and look dated, which is surprising because I can still remember when the MacBook Pro in those days represented a light and sleek-looking option compared to other laptops of the time. It's really a beautiful piece of hardware, although I'd guess there will be a day that we look back at the MacBook and feel that it looks dated, too.

The form factor is one potential downside, though. Specifically, the ports. I have almost every single port in my iMac occupied (and when I used my MacBook Pro as primary, all ports were filled, including the Firewire). It's partly for that reason that the MacBook could never be a primary system for me. One single USB-C port is far too limiting. The lack of peripheral access options is still a limitation for me, at times (going into work environments with flakey wifi, an ethernet port would be useful - but buying a dongle gets away from the principle of traveling light).

Another downside I've found is with the wifi reliability. I've seen other reports of it and it doesn't seem that we've discovered the pattern yet. Basically, after a few minutes - seemingly random, anywhere from five minutes to an hour - the MacBook will show that it's connected to wifi, but no net connectivity works. You're forced to turn off wifi and then re-enable it. I don't have this issue at home, with my AirPort Extreme-based wireless network, but have encountered it regularly with the corporate wifi networks in my work environments (as have other co-workers with MacBooks, but not other Mac models). For a computer that relies so heavily on wireless connectivity, that pickiness about wireless networks is a bit unsettling.

I use the 2015 model. Performance-wise the system is decent, but it feels like using a computer from a few years ago. Programs take a few more seconds to load than I've grown accustomed to with the near-instant opening of my iMac, as do websites. The 2016 model features a boosted SSD module that has significantly faster speeds, and I wonder if some of my complaints would be alleviated there.

Basically, it's a beautiful system that is perfect for a number of niches. I use it as a "work" computer primarily and a travel computer second, and for those purposes - none of which are particularly demanding - it works very nicely. However, if I were trying to use it every single day, doing all of my computing tasks on it, I'm fairly certain that I would grow frustrated very quickly.

As a buying decision, if you're in the market for a laptop, the MacBook Pro would probably serve you better as a primary computer. If you're just looking to have a mobile Mac and do most of your computing (and particularly your "heavy lifting" computing) on a different, faster Mac, then the MacBook represents a very good companion computer.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I love it. I went with the 2016 m3 and it is perfect for my uses. I don't use it for anything heavy, mainly web browsing, media consumption, some light photo editing, etc. I like the keyboard a lot and bring it everywhere with me. I feel that I can get so much more done with me than with my iPad that I am now selling. Surprisingly, I even really love Windows 10 on it. It is better than macOS is some respects, mainly performance.

lbjsong

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Keyboard grows on you pretty good. Also it softens up over time so it's perfect. My rMBP13 2014 became a desktop now. Love the experience so far.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
I've had the 2015 1.2 512 12" rMB since it came out. Here's my impressions

1. Previous MB 2014 11" Air - comapred to this same basic speed.
2. Love the weight and thinness.
3. I use it almost everyday.
4. Not powerful enough to run VM well. It does do it but the processor and lack of fan causes the CPU to slow to a crawl when the VM window is open and running Win 10.
5. Keyboard works very well.
6. Touchpad is best one ever from Apple.
7. Single USB C port no problem. Charging iPhone (with USB dongle) at same time is very convient.
8. Battery good for about 4 hours use with BT and WiFi going.
9. xCode and simulators run very well on it.
10. Able to run Final Cut Pro without any issues. Except for one thing, Final Cut's inability to easily use multiple storage locations for files, but that's not a 12" issue.
11. Never experienced WiFi issues.

Because of the need to run a VM well I ordered 2016 MBP 2.9 with touch bar. I would rather have the size of the 12" but the new Pro's speed is worth the extra weight.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It slows down sometimes while virtualizing Windows in Parallels, which is processor intensive task, so it's to be expected. I doubt the m5 would do much better.

Actually, unless you really need the ultra portability and the 512GB storage in the m5, I think the new Pro without touchbar would be a better buy than the m5. The new Pro is most likely better in all ways and even a bit cheaper than the m5.

Exactly my dilemma with the new 13 MBP. While it is not out yet in the Indian market, but it is the cost of the rMB 2016 m5 model, while the rMB 2016 m5 has risen in price by about 150 comparative dollars.

And I am left wondering if I should wait for the 2017 model which might have the P3 display, and butterfly 2.0 keyboard. Might just have m7 as the middle processor as well. I have an MBP Late 2011 maxed out with 16GB and 256GB SSD, but that thing is huge to carry around, so serves me as a desktop Mac. My iPad takes care of most of my work except that at my workplace, the WiFi connection does not hold steady on the iPad but when I had carried my MBP, it was rock solid. So, I have a little twitch to go for the rMB ... but the 2017 version just 5 more months away, there is a serious dilemma..

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I picked up my 2nd Gen rMB m3 in August just before going back to uni. I've had two 15" rMBP's before that.

I use my high end gaming rig (6700k+GTX1080) for any heavy tasks. So I don't need a lot of power but it's never had any issue with anything. 4K video, 1080p60, Spotify, web browsing (Safari). I've even been able to stream games from my rig without problem and even play Civ 6 on it without issue.

I love the size and weight, it feels the way forward. The lack of any fans is nice.
I personally love the feel of the new keys but I wouldn't mind if they increased the key travel a little, the size of the keys and their stable feel when you push them is great. Touchpad is fantastic.

Battery life is pretty good but could always be better. My only two complaints are the atrocious webcam, it's unexceptable and a lack of a second Type C connector on the right - which would be great, especially when charging.

Future changes would be a smaller bezel, second Type-C, 1080p Webcam, improved CPU and battery although that these last two are good but can always improve.

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
You know, people keep asking for that 2nd USB-C port on future gen.

I've feeling you'll never see it on these machines. Would almost be like admitting a mistake no? If they added it. Plus, would need to create space for it, and all they want to do it cut space to cram more battery life/performance into these.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The only real thing holding me back at the moment is that single port and the hope of the second port! Plus maybe the new 2.0 keyboard!

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Performing beautifully on my M7
The only thing i hate is MS Office apps using only 1 core, pisses me off! (but that's a MS thing)

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
In June I sold my 2014 15" MBP and bought a 12" MacBook (2015 base). I thought the new MBP would launch that summer so I could use the 12" in the mean time. As it turned out I would be getting my MBP late November, but luckily the 12" has been holding up very well.

Sure, it's no Pro machine but most light Illustrator and 3D modeling (in SolidWorks on Windows) works fine for me. The fact that it's so incredibly portable makes me love it very much. Day and night difference with a 15" MBP which was already pretty portable compared to 15" Windows machines.

Practical problems? I may have forgotten my Digital AV Multiport once and I had to use cloud based transfer methods instead of my USB stick. No problems with the single port or any other aspects of this machine whatsoever.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
I have a 2016 m5 and now the base 13" 2016 MBP (stock, no upgrades). Why? I LOVE the little MB, but I was having performance issues with it for work use. I live on Skype for Business, have Outlook open, maybe a Remote Desktop to a Windows server, Xcel spreadsheet and Safari. I need to multitask. I spend 3-4 hours a day in video conferencing and when I multi-task the audio skips and the video stutters. Probably just I'm doing too much with it. Trying the 13" and so far so good.

When I pick up the 12" I want to take it with me everywhere and I love it. The 13", it's easy to take as well, but it's not as easy...but much better than my old 2012 MBA 13" or really old 2010 MBP 13".

If I didn't have to do the Muti-taksing with it, I'd keep the 12",no question. For my personal use, the 12" is great. I do with it as native 4k at 60ghz out of the box though. For the 4k, the 2nd USB-C port, the nicer P3 screen on the MBP, I'll likely keep the pro and sell my 12"...but that makes me sad. However, I can't justify keeping both.

shifomu

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
I have a 2015 1.2/512GB/8GB bought in September 2015 and overall I have been very impressed coming from a 2012 rMBP 15 Quad Core.

It's super quick, great display and the best sound from any notebook I have ever used. This is my only machine and I used it at home running OS X and Bootcamp at work in a Windows environment.

But...

The biggest disappointment? After just 1 year my battery life has dropped to 83% according to coconut battery. There is a significant difference in battery life. When I first got the machine the battery life was more than acceptable, I believe I got around 6 hours of usage which was slightly less than my 2012 rMBP 15 but as I say it was acceptable. Now however I have to charge around every 4 hours - of course I understand this is a first world problem but for my laptop to lose almost 20% capacity in just 1 year I think is unacceptable.

I'm sure the 2016 version is a big improvement though.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Since I was not following this much, I only have a vague recollection of reading something about the battery issues on 2015 models, here itself on MR. Again, vaguely, I think this issue was resolved in 2016 models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.