Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
How is the new HR sensor on the newest AW? My issue with these watches has always been that you cannot get a good reading if you are in action, especially if you are interval training. You would have to stand still for a bit just to get a reading. My dream has always been to have a wrist based HR monitor which can keep up with fast paced interval training, but I haven't found one yet. I know the technology is inferior to chest bands, and I've appeased myself with a Scosche Rhythm armband that is fairly decent, and certainly better than any wrist monitor.

But I'm curious to hear from owners how the AW is doing in this regards as I'm thinking of picking one up, but this is one of my main criteria.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
So... exactly what kind of intervals are you doing? I know that when I am doing intervals on a bike, any wrist-based sensor does a pretty good job. But, it is only applicable on a trainer, because it is impossible to look a watch while doing bike intervals on the road.

When I am running intervals in the 1/4 mile range, my AW does a pretty good job, and I can look at the watch during the interval period to judge effort. However, if I am doing shorter intervals, my intensity is so great that I cannot even read the watch, any watch, until I am done with the interval. And, for that, the AW works great, because it gives me what I need during the recovery time.

I do not do HIIT, so I cannot comment there. From what others have written, nothing works with HIIT, because the interval is done almost as soon as it starts, so any lag at all does not show.

Reactions: spinedoc77

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I'm a big fan of HIIT doing both running and weightlifting and the watch has handled both well. I know others have had issues with heart rate dropping out.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I'm a big fan of HIIT doing both running and weightlifting and the watch has handled both well. I know others have had issues with heart rate dropping out.

I have read that for workouts such as those - it might be best to battle 'dropouts' by using an external HR monitor.

I've been eyeing the Polar H7 - anyone have any thoughts on using that with my series 2 watch?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
So... exactly what kind of intervals are you doing? I know that when I am doing intervals on a bike, any wrist-based sensor does a pretty good job. But, it is only applicable on a trainer, because it is impossible to look a watch while doing bike intervals on the road.

When I am running intervals in the 1/4 mile range, my AW does a pretty good job, and I can look at the watch during the interval period to judge effort. However, if I am doing shorter intervals, my intensity is so great that I cannot even read the watch, any watch, until I am done with the interval. And, for that, the AW works great, because it gives me what I need during the recovery time.

I do not do HIIT, so I cannot comment there. From what others have written, nothing works with HIIT, because the interval is done almost as soon as it starts, so any lag at all does not show.

I do a mixture of interval and HIIT. At times it's just on the treadmill or bike at the gym. Other times it's on my mountain bike outside. Other times it may be functional training outside. I also like to see HR changes with weightlifting. I can see my HR on the bike because of the position of MB bars, and I also have my phone on a holder so I can see HR, GPS, etc on the screen in real time.

I agree, I won't really be looking at the watch when going into high intensity, but I would at least like to look at the peaks when I'm parsing the records so I know where to adjust, and of course the recovery phase. Even though I'm not looking doesn't mean I don't want it accurately recording.

Thanks for the comments, helps to get a grasp on its abilities.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I do a mixture of interval and HIIT. At times it's just on the treadmill or bike at the gym. Other times it's on my mountain bike outside. Other times it may be functional training outside. I also like to see HR changes with weightlifting. I can see my HR on the bike because of the position of MB bars, and I also have my phone on a holder so I can see HR, GPS, etc on the screen in real time.

I agree, I won't really be looking at the watch when going into high intensity, but I would at least like to look at the peaks when I'm parsing the records so I know where to adjust, and of course the recovery phase. Even though I'm not looking doesn't mean I don't want it accurately recording.

Thanks for the comments, helps to get a grasp on its abilities.
80% of my HIIT training is on the treadmill and if you are like me, the Apple Watch has been great at monitoring these types of HIIT. Even better with OS3. Many have had problems, so an external would be a great option. I feel lucky that I never had to go that route because I hate wearing chest straps. Weightlifting HIIT is my favorite but it is very taxing on my CNS. However, the watch has been great and even better with OS3.

Try it and if you have a problem, use a chest strap as others have done. I love using he watch with Bluetooth headphones and using the timer and haptic feedback when to change exercises.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
80% of my HIIT training is on the treadmill and if you are like me, the Apple Watch has been great at monitoring these types of HIIT. Even better with OS3. Many have had problems, so an external would be a great option. I feel lucky that I never had to go that route because I hate wearing chest straps. Weightlifting HIIT is my favorite but it is very taxing on my CNS. However, the watch has been great and even better with OS3.

Try it and if you have a problem, use a chest strap as others have done. I love using he watch with Bluetooth headphones and using the timer and haptic feedback when to change exercises.

Great, seems like so far good feedback. Now if I could only find one in stock, lol.

Vilacr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
My S0 apple watch's HRM is terrible. Drops out extremely to often. I'm looking into getting a fit bit charge 2 or blaze.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Great, seems like so far good feedback. Now if I could only find one in stock, lol.

I do a lot of HIT workouts like Insanity and Max 30 and the HR monitor is kind of mediocre for that. Works okay when I go for running. I have a Polar H7 and it always works so if I am interested in monitoring I use that. If it's a more casual workout, I just use the watch.

Mac Addict

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Chicagoland
Before a run, I always rinse the back of the watch where the sensors are located with water and dry. Rinse my wrist with water and dry. Synch the band down and walk the watch back up my arm an inch or so until it's pretty tight. I get very accurate HR to my target and fast updates on HR recovery.

Not doing this routine, the HR usually always gives me some kind of trouble.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
How about sweat? Does that make the readings worse?
In absolute terms yes but it relative terms not really. If you are concerned and want the best possible HR monitoring you will need to go with a chest strap. Optical has gotten pretty good but chest straps are going to be the 'gold standard' for consumer HR monitoring for years to come.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
How about sweat? Does that make the readings worse?
I have never read anything anywhere that says sweat affects optical HR monitors. I sweat a crapton, and I regularly use four different optical HR monitors, and none seem to be affected by sweat.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Just scored a SS one tonight, totally surprised me with the only one in stock in the store. I'll test it out extensively this weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.