So how is the new push service working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Are all your apps getting their information though the same push connection email uses? Or are there 2 connections being opened constantly with Apple's servers? This is huge because having push email AND push apps loaded at the same time will be a burden on the battery.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

3. bhiller macrumors newbie

Push Service

I have loved the iphone since I got my first one the 3G last year. And I have been waiting for the new one, and for the 3.0 in anticipation that it would be that much better and with the push notification would be a nice added bonus. After now using the new 3G s and the 3.0 I would say that so far the push is a joke. There are very few applications that even have it when they made it seem like most of the applications would have it.

4. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Lol, give it time. Applications with push support are only now starting to be released by Apple, sheesh. It's been less than a week.

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

haha

apple have a ton of apps that support push waiting in their approval process.

i have used push in beejiveIM and its awesome! only takes around 4 seconds to recieve an MSN IM on a GPRS connection!

6. arykmax macrumors regular

AP Mobile is starting to send more out and I got a heat advisory from WeatherUpdate this morning.

7. joekun macrumors regular

It works great! The only real app that I cared about having push for was IM, and now that it's available I'm happy. If they come up with some other great uses for it that'll just be a bonus.

8. chox99 macrumors regular

All I know is push makes my phone super hot and drains battery like 1%/min. :mad: I turned it off.

9. entity macrumors regular

1%/min?! That's not right! Might want to get that looked at.

10. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I use AIM (paid version) pretty regularly, and it was updated yesterday for 3.0.

I've been using it most of the day and it works great; it's a very nice alternative to SMS.

11. chox99 macrumors regular

Yup, 1%/min I'm not kidding. It literally drained from 100% to off in 2 hours, while I was using the phone to cook my egg (not really but almost).:mad: Turning push off made it all go away thou. :confused:

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Are you using a jailbroken / unlocked phone? There are issues with push notifications and phones unlocked or jailbroken with redsn0w: basically they don't have a valid machine certificate and the push servers refuse the connection.
    The phone keeps trying to connect and keeps getting refused with the end result of very hot phones and very short battery life

13. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Loving it on AIM. Desperately need it for gtalk next!