Resolved So how is this holding thing working?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobsentell, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bobsentell, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

If the iPads are locked in a truck, how are they applying the shipping labels? Is there one guy who is given a stack of shipping labels and he alone has access to the trailer to apply them or is Apple just going off an inventory sheet and it will be FedEx's job to apply the shipping labels to all of the boxes as they unload the truck?

I'm just asking from a logistical standpoint.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Or the labels could be applied on packaging at the factory.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

my bet

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Oh yeah, like they would leave something as important as that up to a lorry driver. Its obviously done before they leave apple. Like everybusiness in the world would do.

5. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

lol This is a pretty desperate thread! :)

To put my 2 pence in..... I already know the Serial number of the iPad 3 I'm going to receive so I'm fairly certain they're allocated by the time they leave Apple. :)

6. bobsentell thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

That still doesn't explain how they are doing it. All of Apple's factories are overseas and yet we have shipping labels as early as friday being located in Nashville. How are they getting to these hubs? They obviously are not putting the labels on at the factory as the inventory they are using was already over here. Unless Apple is overnighting them from China to Nashville as they come off the line.

What? I'm asking from a logistical standpoint. I'm not inferring anything.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Maybe package assembly happens locally?

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

they were with apples local warhouses until friday/sat when we got our shipped emails. It will have been done then.
    The ipads will have been in the us/uk since last month while they have been stock piling

9. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

This.

10. bobsentell thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Okay. I was unaware Apple had local warehouses. I'm not an Apple insider so I didn't know how their inventory control worked. I always assumed their inventory came straight from Foxconn to the Apple store.

11. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Best guess would be that, Apple rented out some warehouses in the cities with the hubs. Then once we put in our orders, people who were working for them there put shipping labels on them, once it cleared. Then loaded up a trailer for FedEx (or whichever carrier) and they are now awaiting the next step in processing at the hub.

But that is only a guess.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's a more than reasonable guess. Shipping is not rocket science. Apple has clearly been building inventories in anticipation of the launch.

13. Lastof macrumors regular

More likely that whoever Apple contracts to run their Logistics was holding them. In the UK it seems to be Syncreon, not sure who it is in the US, but I think I remember someone posting a name a day or two ago. They will be the ones who boxed and labeled the orders, and are ensuring they don't get handed to the carriers till Apple wants them to be. They presumably would already have all the storage, etc, necessary to manage this.